Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The've started!  (Read 10328 times)

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: The've started!
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2014, 10:17:28 am »
:innocent: I have to say this is my first year lambing BWMs and they have to be the most easy care i know, i haven't touched one yet!! they just lamb and run off
Got to catch soon so we can tag the b***ers. the newborns can run as fast as their mothers.
Never needed a trained dog before but we may have to invest inone for these!

I reckon if one of my lambs is 48hrs old, I haven't got a hope in hell of catching it, and I'm still quick enough to play on the wing of my local Rugby team. I will be trying with a dog this year, see how it goes.

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
Re: The've started!
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2014, 11:42:06 am »
Merinos are purely wool sheep, crossed with a meat tup they produce meat lambs.  the price of wool has dramatically dropped over the years which means less merinos are farmed.  However they are still the only sheep run on high country stations in NZ.  Staff wise, there is my sister and her husband, one full time shepherd and countless woofers throughout the year.  they also run 250 head of beef cattle and 1500 head of deer for velvet.

They have shearing gang in for shearing, and neighbours all help each other out for mustering, dipping, velveting etc.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 11:44:07 am by trish.farm »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS