Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The've started!  (Read 10311 times)

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
The've started!
« on: April 07, 2014, 08:19:39 am »
First lambs born Saturday @ 4.30pm and then another set of twins yesterday at 10.30am.  Both very civilised times.  Both ewes lambed without any hassles and lambs were a great size and lively.  The only issue was that the first ewe had an udder on her the size of a cow and teats to match.  She had so much milk that it was just running out of her teats. The teats were so large that I milked off some in to a bottle and gave this to the lambs as they were finding it hard to latch on to the huge teats that were so low to the ground.  Milking her out reduced the teat size and so the lambs were able to then latch on and are now well away.  The lambs are very sweet, jumping around with 40 mins of being born and I do love the little black ram lamb with his very floppy ears  :love:

Hope my others continue to lamb in this fashion  :fc:

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Re: The've started!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 08:24:26 am »
Lovely  :thumbsup: .
Anne

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 08:27:36 am »
 :excited:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 08:36:02 am »
Lovely lambies  :sheep:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 08:54:19 am »
Whose the Daddy? the lambs look almost like Hampshires

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 08:58:37 am »
Spot on Feldar, Daddy is indeed a Hampshire!  This is his 2nd crop of lambs.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 09:07:49 am »
Congratulations on a good start to lambing  :thumbsup:

We used to get this 'cow teats' thing with some of the Swales.  We'd mark them so we'd know to keep them indoors next time - firstly because their lambs might perish if they lambed in the night and it was a cold one; lambs rarely seem to be able to latch onto these humungous sausages on their own, secondly because we'd be able to milk a litre of colostrum off them for the freezer!, and thirdly because (useful as the colostrum was ;), we wouldn't keep any of their daughters on for breeding.

Here, these aging farmers (BH is 60 today  :o) have had to decide that any ewe comes in or needs personal attention (apart from first timers just needing a bit of help to learn the job) is marked to not breed again.  We need to reduce the amount of work, and especially the amount of catching ewes in the field, because we simply aren't getting any younger!  And we're lambing with no help this year, which on reflection we haven't done for a while - there's been an 'apprentice' (wannabe vet or wannabe smallholder) or other bod about the last few years - and we're really noticing the work when there's no youngster about to do some of the running!

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 10:13:34 am »
Congratulations!  :thumbsup:

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 04:27:45 pm »
Congratulations on a good start to lambing  :thumbsup:

Here, these aging farmers (BH is 60 today  :o ) have had to decide that any ewe comes in or needs personal attention (apart from first timers just needing a bit of help to learn the job) is marked to not breed again.  We need to reduce the amount of work, and especially the amount of catching ewes in the field, because we simply aren't getting any younger!  And we're lambing with no help this year, which on reflection we haven't done for a while - there's been an 'apprentice' (wannabe vet or wannabe smallholder) or other bod about the last few years - and we're really noticing the work when there's no youngster about to do some of the running!

Theres an older couple I buy rams off occasionally who are well into their 70s and have Easycares for that very reason.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 05:21:41 pm »
You're slipping Steve, that took you 7hrs 20mins.  My money was within 2 hours.  :-J ;) :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 05:50:56 pm »
Good stuff Zak, our grass is just beginning to come in nicely now so good time to have them.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 06:45:34 pm »
 :roflanim: :roflanim: at Sallys comment!! 

regarding easycares - My Romneys are easycares, quite what that is meant to mean i have no idea!!  I still spend just as much time and money on them. Have to admit that i rarely have a problem lambing with anything put to my romney tup and the romney ewes are fab mum, never been near them lambing.  So i am assuming thats what easycare is!!!  :innocent:

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 06:59:04 pm »
Congratulations. :excited:

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 09:04:12 pm »
Love those little wrinkly coats waiting to be grown into  :-*

Gunnermark

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 09:27:52 pm »
Lovely looking lambs, still waiting patiently for mine to lamb!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS