Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ice Cream Maker  (Read 15000 times)

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
Re: Ice Cream Maker
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 06:43:23 pm »
Julie

Try the Kenwood IM200.  We just got one from Amazon and it's great.  It cost about £22 delivered, it's the type where you keep the bowl part in the freezer. Maybe we should all post our favourite recipes on the forum!

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 08:05:43 pm »
Thanks Dave - I can afford that - yes recipes will be gratefully received
 ;D
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 11:42:39 am »
James, I should have loads of recipes at home, but I'm still away  ;D. Will pop in after half-term, possibly Wednesday afternoon  :&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 11:47:30 am »
James, I should have loads of recipes at home, but I'm still away  ;D. Will pop in after half-term, possibly Wednesday afternoon  :&>

Thats great Kerstin, see you later in the week.

Troubled Waters

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 06:13:11 pm »
Hey James,

How's the knee? You healing?  We've been away too and saw the reply and realised I really must share those recipes I promised. So here are the basic vanilla and chocolate recipes I use, I just adapt these as required.  Both make 1 quart. Also use raw eggs so not for pregnant ladies etc.  but as they are not cooked custard bases like a lot they are simpler.  From the Ben and Jerry Icecream book (its great, get it)

Vanilla
2 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar (8-10oz)
2 cups double cream (this makes a lovely creamy icecream, for a little less rice but equally as nice use 1.5 cups each of cream and milk)
1 cup of milk
1 tsp good vanilla extract (not essence) (use seeds from a vanilla pod for added flavour and pretty specs)

Whisk eggs till fluffy
Whisk in sugar till blended
Pour in cream, milk and vanilla and whisk
Now ready for machine according to instructions

Choc
4oz 70% cocoa choclate
1 cup milk
2 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup double cream
1 tsp vanilla
pinch salt

Melt choc and gradually whisk in milk till smooth, leave to cool
Whisk eggs till fluffy
Whisk in sugar
add cream, vanilla and salt
Pour in choc mix and blend
Cool in fridge till really cold, maybe 2-3hrs
Put in machine...

These I vary according to what I want. Add orange to choc, or lumps of whatever you fancy.  To the vanilla, omit vanilla extract and add peppermint extract and choc lumps or juice of 2-3 lemons. Add ginger or cinnamon, add choc covered honeycomb nuggets.

Coffee icecream

2 large eggs
3/4 cups sugar + 2 tbsps
2 cups double cream
1 cup milk (or 1.5 of each as before)
3 tbsps strong coffee (or according to taste)

Same method as for vanilla.

I'll have to talk to my mum for the stawberry and balsamic icecream and blackcurrant and rum sorbet.

Hope these help.
Helen

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 06:18:05 pm »
Thanks Helen, I will certainly try them out. Were you someplace nice? The knee is healing well, still tender and stiff thanks but improving every day. I don't do this not working thing - I get so bored. I did enjoy catching up with my sleep but hate watching the constant repeated crap on TV. Thanks  :)

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 11:41:15 pm »
How about an apple sorbet with a shot of calvados poured over just before serving? mmmmmmm
kirsty

Troubled Waters

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2009, 09:53:41 am »
Just mother in laws. I hear you on the day time TV, utter rubbish.  Although I'd rather be in a job than down the job centre it has been good to catch up on everything that needs doing round here; jam, chutney, gardening, soup, the list is endless... Glad the knee coming along well and have a great time next week.

Kirsty, that sounds wicked!!!  ;D

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2009, 07:19:21 pm »
One of my favourites uses up left over christmas pud.

Just vanilla icecream splosh of brandy and crumbled christmas pud added at the end it is lovely.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2009, 07:22:32 pm »
Sounds lovely, thanks

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2009, 07:48:37 pm »
You can also use brownies without the alcohol for the littles ones ;)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2009, 04:40:01 pm »
Thanks James, I've read reviews of that a few months ago and it seemed like a good option. I'd be interested to hear you opinion after you've been using it regularly for a few weeks :)

Annie, I think it's time to ask your sister for a loan to see what you think of it ... it's not your fault you'll probably forget to return it  8)

Hi Callum

Now had the machine for a few months and only have positive things to say about it. The good thing with it is that it doesn't make a huge amount each time so you don't have too much lying in the freezer. I just make my own recipies up most of the time and the customers and I love it. I never add as much sugar as instructed though and yesterday for the first time I used semi skimmed milk and that worked well too. Hope this helps.

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2009, 12:42:37 am »
Thanks for the update James, greatly appreciated. That's one more item onto my rather lengthy "to buy" list .. although I suspect it may make its way near the top :D

Kirsten

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2010, 11:29:51 pm »
I have wanted an ice cream maker for ages - but I am still
saving up to get myself a magimix 5200 for making dough and
shredding vegetables for my chutneys.

Can anyone recommed a cheaper but good Ice cream Maker as
270 is much over my budget.
Hi Julie, I have a gelato chef 2000.  I love it!  There is currently one on ebay with 1 day 19 housr to go.  May be worth a go.  I actually bought mine for £1.  It was in a box of stuff at our local auction house.  It sat in the cupboard for years then I came across a recipe that I fancied trying and it never gone back into the cupboard!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS