Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ice Cream Maker  (Read 15009 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Ice Cream Maker
« on: October 02, 2009, 10:49:58 am »
Hi, does any one have an Ice Cream Making machine? I bought one the other day and am having lots of fun making ice cream which I will go onto sell in the hotel. Any recipies would be hugely appreciated. Yesterday I made Lemon and Gin Sorbet and I have to say it is delicious.

Troubled Waters

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: Ice Cream Maker
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 11:04:17 am »
Ooooh.  How exciting!  That sorbet sounds amazing.

We have had one for years, one of those where you keep the bowl in the freezer rather than one that cools it all by itself.  But we use it loads.  Mum had one first and she always has at least 3 flavours in her freezer and is on her second machine (she wore the first one out with too much use).

We use the Ben and Jerrys Ice cream recipe book. It's really nice and creamy.

Bewtween us we have made:
Creamy (and I mean really creamy) Vanilla
Ginger and Honeycombe
Cookies and Cream
Chocolate
Rocky Road
Rum and Raisin
White choc and Raspberry
Blackcurrant and Rum Sorbet (this was wicked!  :o)
Mint choc chip (with After eights)
Esspresso
Coconut
Lemon
Malteaser
Strawberry with Black pepper and balsamic vinegar
(and prob others I can't remember)

If you want recipes for any I can dig them out later.  Most are a basic one with the flavours changed or lumps and treats added.  It is addictive and if I had more time I would be more inventive.

These don't use a 'cooked' custard base though so unsuitable for pregnant ladies etc due to the raw eggs.

Have fun, I'm sure you'll come up with some great combinations. I want a go at raspberry, mango or passion fruit sorbets. Yum Yum!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 11:33:15 am »
They all sound fantastic. This machine freezer for you so can eat straight away. Any recipes you find would be tried and tested, thanks.

aparker155

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 11:40:13 am »

Nutella icecream - don't really have a recipe, I just use a strawberry icecream recipe but instead of using the strawberrys I add a good few tablespoons of nutella to taste - yum! If you add too much nutella it doesn't set very well but is still scrummy!!

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 12:04:36 pm »
Which machine did you buy James?

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 12:13:48 pm »
Which machine did you buy James?

Its a "Cuisineart", paid £270 but it is very simple to use and clean. It was highly recommended by a friend who has one.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 02:31:16 pm »
My sister has one she never uses.  Wish she would 'freegle' it in my direction ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 03:37:34 pm »
Thanks James, I've read reviews of that a few months ago and it seemed like a good option. I'd be interested to hear you opinion after you've been using it regularly for a few weeks :)

Annie, I think it's time to ask your sister for a loan to see what you think of it ... it's not your fault you'll probably forget to return it  8)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 03:53:19 pm »

Annie, I think it's time to ask your sister for a loan to see what you think of it ... it's not your fault you'll probably forget to return it  8)
Like your style, Calum, but we get on extremely well and she'd probably just give me it if I said I'd like to try it! Visiting her on her birthday, just not sure that's the right day to ask her for it ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 01:58:44 pm »
We have one that we've had for a few years. Its a good way of using fruit from the garden. A basic recipe James, is to cook what ever fruit you fancy into a puree (plums, gooseberry, brambles, pear), then strain it through a sieve or filter to get rid of seeds etc. Ideally look for about 15 fluid ounces of puree, then add a carton of cream. This should make the mix up to just under a pint and a half- then into the ice cream machine. A really simple fruit icecream. The only one that didn't work quite as well was the bramble which set really hard for some reason!

I have a big recipe book too- should let you borrow it!

Beth

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 02:38:49 pm »
We bought a wee magimix one for Rebecca (who wanted one of the kids ones, but didn't fancy turning the handle for 20 minutes til it was frozen) After the first disasterous attempt (when I put the mix in THEN fitted the turning mechanism, only to find it wouldn't mix cause it had frozen solid to the bottom !) we've gone on to succesfully make loads ! Raspberry's my fave - but I think that's just down to the almost neon pink colour of it !
While we were looking for one for her we came across a 'football' which you freeze, fill then kick about til it's ready - a great idea for picnics - if we ever see the sun again !  8)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 03:33:24 pm »
Thanks Beth, just made some vanilla and added after eight mints at the end - delicious!!!! :yum:

Troubled Waters

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 09:45:13 am »
Haven't forgotten my offer of recipes James.  :-[ I'm just trying to get a batch of job aps out.  I am jobless again from Thurs and have been hounding the agencies and just found a bunch of good looking jobs to apply for.  Why are they like busses? I haven't found any good ones last couple of weeks.  ??? ::)

Anyway, I will get something on here for you soon. (you'll prob have all you need by then).

hfw

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 09:47:41 am »
I have wanted an ice cream maker for ages - but I am still
saving up to get myself a magimix 5200 for making dough and
shredding vegetables for my chutneys.

Can anyone recommed a cheaper but good Ice cream Maker as
270 is much over my budget.

I also remember someone saying they made butter in their ice
cream maker - would be interested to know which model, and how
they made it too.

PS. TW - don't forget to send me info on what sort of job you are looking for  ;)

Julie x
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 06:51:59 pm »
Don't worry there is no rush. Good luck with the job hunt, I hope you will find something soon. :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS