Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Our Goatshed- warning picture happy!  (Read 15657 times)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: Our Goatshed- warning picture happy!
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 12:42:28 am »
We throw too much milk away! We use it ourself in the house (I have no idea how much milk from a supermarket costs!), also we give the chicks and ducklings bread and milk, even mix some milk in if we are making up layers mash for the big chooks. I'll need to start skimming some to make butter, now we have stopped feeding this years kids. Oh and we supply my sister's cats every so often too!

Annie, you are welcome to milk for the puppies, we do sometimes sell/trade it to people for them to feed orphan lambs, puppies etc.

Calum, you'd be welcome to visit sometime.  :)

Beth

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 01:08:12 am »
You throw goats milk away? What is this blasphemy against the great goat god!

Butter sounds good... a chevre blanc or smoked bavarian style of cheese sounds better though ... hint hint  8)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2009, 12:52:19 pm »
Calum - you buy Beth's milk and make the cheese and the rest of us in CSSA will buy it!  Or you can bring it to the AGM for our Christmas feast!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2009, 02:06:53 pm »
Now that is an interesting thought. I don't have room to keep goats here, so I'll make do with chickens (next year, I hope) and a beehive (if I can pacify my neighbour who is unfortunately allergic to honey bee sting) with the intent of goats being my first larger livestock when I have more land. And my plan for that point is certainly to make cheese with the milk!

I think it's time to read up on how to make goat's cheese and see if I have the space/environment to start learning while here...

*Edit* oooh, basic goats cheese looks incredibly simple and fairly fast to make!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 06:21:05 pm by cmorrell »

Di

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2009, 05:47:20 pm »
Wonderful shed.  Can I ask if you had much trouble getting planning consent?  We have just, finally, got planning consent for something similar but open on one side.  We have just over 6 acres and rent another 7 acres (which the planners would not take into consideration).  We have 7 Dexter cows (some are calves), a ram and 3 ewes plus their lambs, 1 Kune Kune boar and 4 breeding females plus piglets.  We needed storage for hay and straw and implements including the tractor plus somewhere to house sheep or cows if needed for health purposes.

We had a devil of a job getting permission and I firmly believe it was only because the original planning lady went off sick with stress (our application perhaps?) and another took over that we finally got it.  We are in Somerset.

Di

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2009, 01:56:19 am »
Hi Di,

We didn't have many problems with planning, no. We live in Central (or Falkirk) region, and if its an agricultural building you don't need to get planning permission. You do need to notify your next door neighbours or landowners to give them a chance to object. And you need to do an agricultural notification to the planning dept at the council, but you can actually do that after the building is up. We did originally look into a stable type building, but you actually more planning work to get that than just an agricultural shed!

Sorry to hear you've had so many problems, its shocking that there are such differences in planning from area to area.

Beth

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2009, 09:17:07 pm »
my plan for that point is certainly to make cheese with the milk!

I think it's time to read up on how to make goat's cheese and see if I have the space/environment to start learning while here...
 oooh, basic goats cheese looks incredibly simple and fairly fast to make!

I'll vouch for that!!  But be warned, the heating, cooling, curding takes much longer than you think so be prepared for abit of a wait.  Its worth it though, especially with herbs or black pepper
Little Blue

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2009, 09:47:55 pm »
Noted, thank you  :)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 10:29:53 pm »
The planning issue is the joy of living in Scotland. In England the permitted development rights for agricultural buildings are limited if you have less than 5 hectares. Up here as long as you have more than 0.4 hectares you are fine - a legacy of crofting I presume.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

SmallHolder

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2009, 07:04:02 pm »
I've Seen That this topic was a month from last reply,

But, If you Don't Mind me asking,

Where do you Milk the Goats?

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2009, 10:19:36 pm »
us?
IN the kitchen, on the tiled bit.  In the summer, out of the pen but out on the grass (if there's no flies or cats around)
She wears a collar and lead and has a feed bucket but needs regular top-ups of raisons, bananas, cornflakes to keep her interested.    And then gets her walk round, browse and visits the pigs and rabbits (and scares the odd passer-by!)
I keep threatening to build a contained milking stall/platform thingy (cant think of the word!) but knowing Margo, she'd refuse to go near it!
Little Blue

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2009, 09:05:45 pm »
 We just use an area in our shed. We have an area where we keep the barrels of food etc, and also in that area is a wooden milking bench which my brother in law built for us. It was his first attempt, and he made it a bit too wide, so we sit sideways on the bench next to the goat to milk. If the bench was narrower, we would have used a chair in front of the bench, which we did at our old place.

Our goats don't get food while they are being milked. They do get used to the bench very quickly, a hurdle sits along the back of the bench, and we can tie them up to the hurdle, but once they are used to it, they don't even need tied up. They jump up onto the bench with no problems.

They are also used to being milked in the pasageway, with whoever is milking them sitting on a stool. Thats because in the evening there can easily be two people milking goats at once, and there's only one bench! Plus, thats how they get milked at shows, so it helps keep them used to that.

I know some people who show, who have a totally different rountine when milking at a show than they use at home, which I don't agree with. We use stainless steel milking buckets at a show, so we always use them at home. We are looking at getting a milking machine, but we will always continue to milk by hand as well to make sure they are still used to it for shows.

I'll try to take some pictures of the bench etc.

Beth

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2009, 10:03:50 pm »
Bet, what times are they milked?  I might invite myself over to be taught how to do it if you don't mind?  Not at teh moment - whent eh weather is a bit warmer. ::) ::) ::)  Don't fancy sitting in the cold milking a goat.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2009, 11:43:35 pm »
It depends what we're doing generally. But any time between about 7- 9 both morning and evening. Generally that translates to about 7:30am and about 8pm. But thats partly cause of the time I go to and get home from work ect.

You'd be more than welcome to come and learn- the grandchildren too if they want.

Beth

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2009, 12:10:47 am »
That sounds like a good SPRING project! ;D ;D ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS