Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pygmy goats  (Read 22494 times)

frit

• Joined Jun 2009
pygmy goats
« on: September 26, 2009, 09:55:48 pm »
Hi all,

can anyone give me an answer to this?  All the books I've read say that its not worth milking pygmy goats but how much milk can you get from one.  We don't need any more than a couple of pints a day so a 'normal' goat would produce too much each day for our needs.  Hope someone can help.

Frit

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: pygmy goats
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 10:14:09 pm »
I would imagine you do get a couple of pints from them- I've never tried I have to say. And its all very well saying that you only need  2/3 pints, but what are you going to feed their kids on? A Pygmy will only produce milk for a short lactation- maybe 3 months I guess. What are you going to do for the other 9 months of the year? Why don't you consider a Golden Guernsay or a Anglo-Nubian? They produce less milk, but should produce enough for you and the kids for the first 3/4 months, then their yield will drop naturally, and they will milk on for months.

If you google milking Pygmy goats, there does seem to be a few links- mostly to American websites.

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 11:06:02 pm »
Any goat is producing milk for its young, and obviously they must come first if still with the nanny. So, its doubtful that a pygmy feedng kids, will have much milk left over.

Also, have you thought about the actual milking of a pygmy?  Being so small they would need standing on a platform, as getting down that low, and pulling on their little teats would be quite a feat!!!  I am not saying it cannot be done, but they will probably not produce anywhere near as much milk as the bigger breeds.

Personally, for milk I would go for something a bit larger - if you don't want the big dairy goats, then a golden guernsey may suit better.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 02:56:18 pm »
And once you have your 'own' milk, theres always more than enough  uses for it...
pancakes, yorkshire puddings (especially if you have chickens!) custard, yogurt, icecream, cheese
Little Blue

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 08:14:21 pm »
I know nothing about goats except they escape and eat knickers!!!  So just curious about the milking thing!  Do you have to pasturise the milk or can you drink it straight?

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 08:43:15 pm »
I know nothing about goats except they escape and eat knickers!!!  So just curious about the milking thing!  Do you have to pasturise the milk or can you drink it straight?

Minimaran, do you have to pasturise cow's milk or can you drink it straight?

Beth

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 08:51:20 pm »
I wouldn't drink either of them straight ;)  I can't abide warm milk!  But put it in the fridge for a couple of hours and I'll drink goats milk like it's going out of style - it is delicious! I was told to feed it to my pups and to have some handy before whelping in case the bitch has problems, so I decided to try it myself first.  I love it!  Them little begagrs are going to ahve to fight me for it this time!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 09:01:57 pm »
Eeurgh, warm milk !  :P
I think being forced to drink 'straight' milk as a child has actually put me off milk forever. That and getting stuff at school which had frozen outside on the steps between being delivered and the school opening then put on the radiators to thaw it  :P  :P  :P

chickenfeed

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 09:15:56 pm »
 :) hi
my parents have had goats for over 35 years and i have asked if they know of anyone milking a pygmy goat they have kept them in the past but never milked them and they know of no one that do but but having said that it could be done. i would avoid a anglo nubian as some of the highest milk yeilds come from them with the highest butter fat results thus more anglo nubians being awarded q stars for their milk. you could always freeze any milk left over or try making ice cream, butter & cheese. :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS