Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What is this?  (Read 1136 times)

Hadynt

• Joined May 2022
What is this?
« on: February 20, 2024, 11:07:16 pm »
Hi all,

Hopefully not a stupid question. New with goats this season. 2 does(2 and 3 years ) and a young billy ( born Feb 23). They have been together since early September so I'm assuming he has done the job and both does are pregnant however I have no confirmation of this sort of thinking both does look bigger 😂.

A few weeks ago I found this substance in with the goats (pic attached) and was wondering if it came from the does or the Billy 🤣 i have read that the does can have discharge weeks before birth but am guessing that is different and this is more likely to be from the Billy?

TIA
Hadyn

Christian

• Joined Jun 2012
Re: What is this?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 05:27:13 pm »
Hi Hadyn, you mean the white slimy stuff? Hard to see from the photo, I guess you haven't actually noticed any discharge from your girls or boy? Noses and vulvas nice and clean, nobody coughing or sneezing? Given that the billy has been with them since early September, your girls should be due any time now.... Could have been a pseudo-pregnancy - probably worth asking for a scan.

Good luck,

Christian

Hadynt

• Joined May 2022
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2024, 06:15:30 pm »
Hi Christian,

Thanks for the reply. no I've not noticed any discharge except a few months back when I saw the billy try and mate and the doe ended up with semen on her backside.

Everyone is nice and clean front and back and no coughing etc.

Yea I'm unsure when/if they are due soon but I'm assuming so. I *think* they are looking rounder but neither have started to bag up and they have kidded before so would have thought they should bag up reasonably early - although I know it varies animal to animal.

Scan is a bit of a faff where we are and cost prohibitive with the number we have. I'll keep an eye on them and let you know when/if they kid!

Thanks
Hadyn

Christian

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2024, 09:01:28 am »
Hi Hadyn,
surely your two girls must have been kidding by now? It's much nicer to keep the billy with the girls all year round, but not knowing when to expect kidding would drive me nuts - I'm keeping them appart....

Best,

Christian 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS