Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: help - ifor williams tow hitch  (Read 11727 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
help - ifor williams tow hitch
« on: March 11, 2014, 12:44:38 pm »
iv had my nearly new ifor Williams horse trailer for 2 yrs now.
there is a key lock on the tow hitch that was working fine but has become progressively sticky. now I cant turn the key at all and I really would like to lock the tow hitch as its parked on the road. I haven't used it for a year now.
wd40 hasn't made any difference. I don't want the tiny key to break and I don't want it to get stuck in a locked position either.
any tips on getting it working properly please ...or do I give up and get a wheel clamp (my experience with them was also similar)
thanks

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: help - ifor williams tow hitch
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 01:12:07 pm »
I'm know you can get a new barrel and keys for trailers so you would think you would be able to with horse boxes.  :thumbsup:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 02:55:56 pm »
Hi Shygirl. I have a 2 year old Ifor Williams BV125-7, which has the same hitch I think. It is certainly a tiny key and it must have seized the shaft that locks the release handle, rather than the lock itself if WD40 won't work. I use spray chain lube as it goes on thin and penetrates, then the solvent evaporates and it leaves a good thick coating. I've just looked at mine and it is very difficult to get to. The only thing I can suggest is removing the whole coupler assembly from the end of the braking shaft, turning it upside down and flooding the thing from underneath. I suspect mine will go the same way as yours as it all looks very dry under there.

It's just occurred to me that perhaps the bolt can't be removed, or if it is cannot be replaced. Perhaps a call to a device centre would be an idea?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 03:19:23 pm by chrismahon »

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 04:45:45 pm »
its the key that wont turn so I cant lock it. the towhitch is currently unlocked and works perfectly fine.

thanks for the advice, I will go and have a closer look.

Crofterloon

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Mintlaw
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 08:53:08 am »
From memory there is a pin through the hitch I think years ago I knocked this out with a hammer and a pin punch. There is also a looking down at the lock a ring which unscrews the lock will I think lift out. New locks with keys are not that expensive.

Before you follow my instructions you could buy the new lock and check with agent the procedure.

But its a job I have done probably about 7 or more years ago.

If you don't fancy doing the job yourself a good country garage / mechanic will do it fairly quickly.

Hope this helps.

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 09:03:43 am »
If you are driving past the trailer centre they'll pop you a new one in maybe for free otherwise £9
To all ifor Williams owners you need to register your trailer/key numbers with Ifor as if your out somewhere and lose the key they will courier you a new one out cheaper than a locksmith or new towhitch.

I personally smear mine with Vaseline inside & out, in winter I put a cover over the whole hitch

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 09:25:41 am »
thanks, thats really helpful.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS