Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Why would ewes have a dead lamb and a live lamb?  (Read 13026 times)

Lilljoho

• Joined Mar 2013
Why would ewes have a dead lamb and a live lamb?
« on: March 05, 2014, 08:01:46 pm »
Hi everybody

Hope lambing is going well for everyone.

My lambing has been going well until I had a blip today. Two of my older ewes lambed but they both have had one live lamb and a dead lamb. The dead lambs have been dead sometime, one at a few weeks and the other barely resembled a lamb so longer than a few weeks. Is this just one of those things or should I have the fetus tested for infections?

Thanks in advance for replies

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Re: Why would ewes have a dead lamb and a live lamb?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 08:37:51 pm »
Cant comment on why but I would defo get the vet to look at them and test them!

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 09:39:10 pm »
sounds very suspicious of toxoplasmosis.  I'd get them checked out as if it is you could vaccinate next year to prevent losses.  Put lambs from each ewe into seperate bags together with the afterbirth to go to the lab.  If you dont have the cleanings then you may want to get a blood sample taken to put in with the lambs.  Toxoplasmosis is more easily detected from the placenta than from the lamb, but a high blood titre would also inidcate a probable diagnosis.  The lab will also screen for other causes of abortion.  Remember the potential health risks to humans!

Lilljoho

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 06:45:14 pm »
Quick update, I've spoken to my vet and we're going to blood test them so we know what we're dealing with if theres a problem.

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 11:33:04 pm »
just saw this older post, did you get a result from the blood tests?

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 08:11:09 am »
Interested too....  I had one dead one live twin (but mine are outdoors, so it is possible mine died at birth or shortly after as it was a rainy cold night and unusually she lambed before dawn which is when I do first check. My dead one looked fine and was clean one side Either licked or rain, and still slimed on underside, so assumed born dead. Looked perfect though.)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 08:51:34 am »
I had one born live and a second one, an hour later, born dead. It looked perfect. Perhaps for mine it was just that there was too long a delay between births.
Having said that I had another set of twins where the delay between first and second was even longer and they are both alive and perfect  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 09:52:53 am »
It might be a good idea to get the feotus tested.
We had a calf aborted last week it looked perfectly normal and was 2 months away from being born. It could be salmonella infection, however if it was it might have affected the other lamb and killed both of them.
Hope this helps.
Thanks
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 12:41:40 pm »
 stress of being born  ? failure to take first breath  ?   membrane over head ?   umbilical  detatched ?  died in the womb ? hypothermia ?   etc

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 01:03:41 pm »
I had one born live and a second one, an hour later, born dead. It looked perfect. Perhaps for mine it was just that there was too long a delay between births.
Having said that I had another set of twins where the delay between first and second was even longer and they are both alive and perfect  :thumbsup:
very much down to luck but also the strength and energy of the ewe in cases  like this, so when i keep sheep year round and start lambing a a few years i will keep a bottle of twin lamb drench on hand

in cases like this if the ewe hasn't had the second with in about 20 mins i would catch her gently and have one person restraining/holding her and then i would go up behind and feel inside try and locate the lamb and pull it out as it might not be presented correctly
Cheers Ed

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 02:52:55 pm »
very much down to luck but also the strength and energy of the ewe in cases  like this, so when i keep sheep year round and start lambing a a few years i will keep a bottle of twin lamb drench on hand

in cases like this if the ewe hasn't had the second with in about 20 mins i would catch her gently and have one person restraining/holding her and then i would go up behind and feel inside try and locate the lamb and pull it out as it might not be presented correctly
Cheers Ed
Thanks for the info Ed but with only 5 ewes we didn't get them scanned and therefore didn't know they were expecting twins. My local farmer told me to check by feeling their stomach with my first but that didn't work for me either.  :(
We did have another set of twins that was taking too long between births and realised that there was a mis presented. So OH had to help out and we had 2 healthy lambs  :)
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 05:15:12 pm »

Cheers Ed
Thanks for the info Ed but with only 5 ewes we didn't get them scanned and therefore didn't know they were expecting twins. My local farmer told me to check by feeling their stomach with my first but that didn't work for me either.  :(
We did have another set of twins that was taking too long between births and realised that there was a mis presented. So OH had to help out and we had 2 healthy lambs  :)
when i start  lambing will only have 3 or so ewes so won't get them scanned either due to cost but i will try to lamb them all in pens i reckon and that way if not much seems to be happening after one is out and a few minutes have passed i will have a feel up inside her
Cheers Ed

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 05:17:00 pm »
also what breed? just some are known to be very easy lambing (like the Clyyn i am working with and shall be getting) and some rather hard and most ewes need help (can't think of any by name right now but there are some!)
Cheers Ed

firther

• Joined Mar 2013
  • holmfirth, west yorkshire
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 08:34:15 pm »

Cheers Ed
when i start  lambing will only have 3 or so ewes so won't get them scanned either due to cost but i will try to lamb them all in pens i reckon and that way if not much seems to be happening after one is out and a few minutes have passed i will have a feel up inside her
Cheers Ed

all right ed,

I've 1 ewe that always as its 2nd lamb 2 hours apart, if sheeps not stressesd I leave well alone. I don't bother with scanning my self either. its really done for extra feed for triplets etc. but I'd rather go on condition as a ewe carrying a single can be in worse condition than a healthy ewe cattying triplets  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS