Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hefting sheep  (Read 2958 times)

Garmoran

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Lochaber, Highland
Hefting sheep
« on: May 21, 2014, 10:07:15 am »
I know there are a few hill farmers here, so wondered if anyone could give me any tips on preventing some of my sheep from leaving the common grazing and making their way along 2 miles of single-track road to sample the unfenced lawns of the houses in the nearby village.

This never used to be a problem but has steadily been getting worse over the last 3 or 4 years. Last summer I (and the dog) clocked 600 miles in journeys to drive sheep back or to check there were none there (I kept count in order to claim it as an expense). Not to mention the hours better spent on other tasks. Last year grass was scarce and I had some sympathy with the animals, this year it is plentiful and they don't have any excuses.

The problem seems to arise most often on mornings like this: heavy rain during the night after a beautiful warm day and suddenly there are sheep a mile down the road who haven't given me any trouble since they were put out.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Hefting sheep
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 12:43:15 pm »
IF  no cattle grid or gates possible , then either catch and confine inbye for ever or sell , once a they learn you'll never stop them plus they are teaching their lambs .   You can drive  them to the farthest corner of the grazing and they will be back next morning

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 12:52:34 pm »
What he said.

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 02:44:11 pm »
No quick fix to this, going to have to breed it out. Dito to other comments.
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 04:50:38 pm »
were they sheep that were born onto the land or bought in?

Garmoran

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Lochaber, Highland
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 08:46:01 pm »
IF  no cattle grid or gates possible , then either catch and confine inbye for ever or sell , once a they learn you'll never stop them plus they are teaching their lambs .  You can drive  them to the farthest corner of the grazing and they will be back next morning

Oh, how true! Yes, your replies were what I expected, sadly. I already have 6 repeat offenders and their lambs confined behind rylock. Annoyingly, they always have good lambs. Still, I am becoming resigned to the fact that some ewes will have to accompany their lambs to the sales in the autumn.

I'll have a try at persuading Highland Council that we need a cattle grid to prevent conflict between crofting and the hordes of leisure users that use the road for running, dog-walking, cycling, bird-watching or simply using up petrol. My neighbours are in favour but I think it's been suggested before, without success.

were they sheep that were born onto the land or bought in?

All home-bred and well stocked up with antibodies against louping-ill and other nasties that bought-in animals seem to fall prey to.

Thanks for the replies

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS