Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: . Garlic in pots  (Read 4998 times)

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
. Garlic in pots
« on: February 27, 2014, 04:16:39 pm »
Have planted 24 cloves in 3" pots , due to the weather being so wet i have been unable to get them in the ground so far . Hope to get another 30 or so in , that should give me 1 a week , in theory , lol . They do transplant well later on , if i want to .

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
. Garlic in pots
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 04:33:42 pm »
Forgot to say , i am using organic bulbs/cloves . I got them from tesco , they are grown in China ?  I planted 16 a few weeks ago , they are now 6" tall . The other 8 i planted  few days ago , and they are up now as well .

Kimkimmy

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Pen Llyn
Re: . Garlic in pots
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 04:42:57 pm »
so you don't have to plant them in October or use special 'seed' cloves from expensive garden centres (I've been ripped off obviously!)  Good to know - thanks
You either get it right or you learn

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 04:58:27 pm »
Lol , i have never bought 'planting' garlic bulbs , or spuds either , far to dear .
Always used the garlic that i buy in the super market .
I have used cloves from my own harvested stock many times as well , i just run out sometimes .

Spinningfishwife

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 05:03:13 pm »
To a point it depends where you live. Garlic needs a cold period to trigger off bulbing up and you may not get this if you live in the south plus plant in early spring. On the other hand if you live up in the frozen north like I do then many of the supermarket varieties will struggle to cope, in this case it's better to buy one of the varieties that's bred for colder climates.

I use a mysterious strain that's been grown on our allotments for the last 20 years or so. Goodness knows what it is but it's 100% reliable if planted in October and has survived -15'C winters. New members get given a couple of bulbs when they arrive. I suppose it might have originally come from the supermarket but nobody actually remembers. It out performs all the fancy garlic company varieties though, on our site anyway.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 05:15:37 pm »
Late planted ( march)  cloves may not bulb up , but a week or so in a fridge before planting may cure that , it works with winter wheat planted in spring ! lol .
Garlic bought from thd shops may struggle in the uk if it was grown in spain , portugal etc , but i  think it would acclimatize after a year or so .  All i can say for sure is , i  have never had any major problems growing it in wales .

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 09:24:39 am »
I'm prob a bit late and have NEVER had success growing garlic whether autumn or late planted.....yeh yeh I know...its easy to grow   ::)    but I do have some French violet garlic I bought which is going a bit over now so I'm going to experiment and plant in a big bucket in the poly just to see :thumbsup:

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 12:24:30 pm »
Got 32 going in pots now .
Also got plenty of digging done on the plot , and transplanted 90 plants that i found whilst digging .
90 plants = 2 rows @15' each . Still have another 35 'discovered ' plants to pop in , and will plant another 10 cloves to make up the complete row , 45 plants .
So if bunnies leave them be , i have  194 atm , should be able to scrape by with that , lol .

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 04:21:40 pm »
That's a lot of garlic :thumbsup:
I've only got 6 bulbs of elephant garlic. They are coming on well in a fish box :fc:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 04:35:18 pm »
I had 6 in a pot until this damned puppy came along - not sure how many she has unearthed at the moment.   :rant:

Have done it this way in the past and it works fine.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 06:52:12 pm »
I stuck 70-odd cloves in on 22nd december where last years spuds had been and they're shwoing about 6" of green now. Just cheap bulbs from the local grocer - 3 or 4 for  £1 as i recall.
I used to grow it as a kid and make a few shillings selling them to the Polish deli - more than 50 yrs ago.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 09:20:52 pm »
Got 32 going in pots now .
Also got plenty of digging done on the plot , and transplanted 90 plants that i found whilst digging .
90 plants = 2 rows @15' each . Still have another 35 'discovered ' plants to pop in , and will plant another 10 cloves to make up the complete row , 45 plants .
So if bunnies leave them be , i have  194 atm , should be able to scrape by with that , lol .

No risk of vampires round your way then, Russ.  :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS