Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeling proud of myself  (Read 3090 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Feeling proud of myself
« on: March 15, 2014, 11:24:28 pm »
Tomatoes and peppers sown the other day and now various salad leaves, radishes and herbs sown. I have a lovely little greenhouse where the compost is put in trays at just below waist height so I can sit and sow.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Feeling proud of myself
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 11:59:36 pm »
 :thumbsup: You're doing well. I've got my chillies, peppers, aubergines and sweet peas in. Nothing else yet - it's hanging over me.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 12:52:41 am »

I'm all at sixes and sevens this year, but I sowed tomatoes and cucumbers this evening.  Thank you for mentioning chillies HesterF - I'd forgotten those completely.  I was concentrating on garden flowers, but they won't feed us.

My first broad beans came up today  :yippee:

Your set-up sounds great MGM  :garden:  I've just noticed these:  :hugsheep: :hugcow: added to the 'more' icons - nothing to do with sowing seeds but aren't they great  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 06:50:46 am »
peppers, aubergines, squashes, spring onions, onion seeds, leeks, lobelia and gernaniums all up as seedlings. Lettuce transplanted into greenhouse border and sown radish and chinese cabbage there too.

I disced and started rotorvating the veggie patch yesterday..first batch onion sets going in today and also poppy seeds to be sown. I'll move a sack of spuds into the house to start them chitting too. I wish i could justfy/finance the cost of a pto rotorvator cos mine is still a walk-behind and it's slow going for a 1/4 acre after discing - a few rows every day

Next on the list will be to sow the sweetcorn in pots and an assortment of beans but I'm going to have to wait for warmer soil for the bulk this year. I was sowing almost everything in pots and modules but age takes it's toll and bending doesn;t work so well... and crawling to transplant them gets tedious.. so lots will have to be direct sown.

My smallest greenhouse has benches and a chair so potting and sowing in pots is all done sitting

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 08:35:17 am »
Well done, that's great progess.  Your greenhouse sounds ideal.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 09:45:55 am »
Well done :thumbsup: .  The only thing I have are shallots and sweet peas growing in old loo rolls ::) .  I have to protect an area from the chickens before anything can go outside.  I always have an old chair in my greenhouse - it's a sanctuary from :raining:

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 04:29:56 pm »
Well done Mad Goatwoman of Madeley  :thumbsup: .
I'm not far behind you. I start my seed sowing tomorrow  :excited:

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 06:46:49 pm »
I got 200 onion sets in and cloched with chicken wire. It took longer than i thought.. several sit downs then a dose of cortisone and a stretch out for an hour while the back spasm settled. Too breezy for seed sowing.
Then I had to recover a coil of fence wire and cart it up the hill to stop Rambo nibbling at the cedar of lebanon ever since he learned to limbo under the bottom rail...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 09:26:22 pm »
I am having small raised beds put in the greenhouse so that I can manage my tomatoes when they get in there. Last year I had tall raised beds built so that I could garden and I put French beans in them. This year I'm going back to climbers as I much prefer them. Sowing them in pots isn't a problem and I start them off on my dining room window sill. The lad that helps with the goats and garden can plant them out for me, once he's put the bean poles in and I can manage to pick them as they'll be a better height. Just need to decide what to grow in my raised beds now.

Annoyingly, I gave away about 50 tall canes last year as I didn't think I could use them again. Some of them were unused.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 11:44:33 pm »
And today I see that the rocket and salad leaves are starting to come through.  :excited: :excited: :excited:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS