Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: freezing bacon  (Read 12718 times)

alfiepork

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: freezing bacon
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 05:53:32 am »
So if I dry cure a side of bacon in my normal way - how long and in what conditions can I store it, without putting it in the freezer, so that it is still bacon and not a dried ham

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 07:03:36 am »
Not that long.  I would say about 4 weeks if vac packed, less if not.  Thats only my experience. 
Slice it; pack it; freeze it.   :D

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, 11:24:16 am »
Norfolk Newby, they sell saltpetre at Scobies  ;)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 11:48:30 am »
Am I thick ? If one dry cures bacon surely after you have brushed the salt off put it in a bacon bag and hung it up its good for a couple of YEARS at least.After that it may go a bit reasty on the edges but thinly cut the reasty bit off.Do read my story about killing the pig 60 yrs ago.Then if you have time look in recipes.Both hams were salted and a little saltpetre forced down the big vein hole and on the knuckle ball and hock end I have never heard of using saltpetre on bacon ever Why does one need to freeze it?Ham and bacon was about century's before deep freezers were even thought of Ive used all the village family's used the method If you want me to post some alternative methods ask but none use a deep freeze and all are good for a 12 month and longer :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

alfiepork

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 01:29:28 pm »
I can remember stories of my mum going to the grocer shop and asking for bacon and the grocer, cutting off the green bits of the slab hanging in the shop. 

I do not have access to shop bought cures, saltpetre, flavour enhancers, or preservatives so any old fashioned method is the only way I can go.  I have one small boned joint that was dry cured in salt for 8 days, washed in white vinegar and has been hanging outside since November, wrapped in a muslin cloth with a mesh hanging around it to stop the birds and cats getting at it.  Up to now all well and good. 

Any help and advice, and methods you can send my way would be greatly appreciated Wizard. 

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2010, 03:13:00 pm »
I agree, George. The whole idea of curing meat is so that you preserve it without the aid of freezing. And no, saltpetre should not be used for bacon - I think NN was saying he wanted it for ham.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2010, 03:55:27 pm »
Why when you spent days getting the liquid out of the meat with salt did you wet it to let a fresh lot in?The idea is remove the moisture with the salt brush it off and hang it up to dry (Cure) Hence Dry Cured Bacon and ham tastes nothing like supermarket stuff at all.Yes reasty the funny Yellow green bits Doesn't affect the bacon but it hasn't a very nice taste ;D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

alfiepork

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2010, 04:08:54 pm »
Why when you spent days getting the liquid out of the meat with salt did you wet it to let a fresh lot in?The idea is remove the moisture with the salt brush it off and hang it up to dry (Cure) Hence Dry Cured Bacon and ham tastes nothing like supermarket stuff at all.Yes reasty the funny Yellow green bits Doesn't affect the bacon but it hasn't a very nice taste ;D :farmer:

I take it you mean the vinegar- I was just following what the recipe said to do.......you can willingly teach me the error of my ways and tell me how I should do it the proper way please, including how long in salt and how much per kg.    I am a very good student but just lacking a good teacher.  I left a 3 bed semi, with completely landscaped garden and full time job to move to Bulgaria and run a small holding with 1000 square metres of land and loads of animals, 15 months ago.  This year I have learnt how to bottle just about anything, make ketchup, salsa and numerous preserves, making all my own bread and sour dough, wine etc etc but preserving meat is scary so I would appreciate any advice you can give. Thank you in advance,

Kathy

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2010, 06:49:11 pm »
Hello Kathy If you look up my post about killing pig 60 years ago its 5 down in Food Processing at the moment and it is the way it is done by cottagers in Lincolnshire even today.In recipes I have posted several recipes to do with the offal.Have a read and lets know what you think.It doesn't work on a lb or a kilo  it works on covering the meat totally with salt have a read See what you think.Don't forget though you have to soak the meat before you use it over night in cold water to get rid of the salty taste.This recipe definitely lasts 2 years plus George

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS