Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: carving hog roast  (Read 3982 times)

pedigree porker

• Joined Feb 2010
carving hog roast
« on: February 06, 2010, 09:08:44 pm »
I have done some basic research on carving a full pig on a spit roast. Does anybody have any tips or ideas?

milly molly

• Joined Dec 2007
  • abington sw scotland
Re: carving hog roast
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 11:00:37 pm »
dont wear trousers with a metal zip or button,  ::)gets very hot!
we had a seperate smaller bbq lit to finish crackling or any bits not quite done right.
long handles on tongs and knife plus/or heat proof gloves - your knuckles get very hot ;D
can't think of anything else at the mo

mandy

pedigree porker

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 07:00:13 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I have spoken to somebody i know about knives (chef) and he's recommended good ones and has offered to teach me how to use a steel etc. We have also managed to locate a DVD.  Your advice about trousers and gloves is helpful.

milly molly

• Joined Dec 2007
  • abington sw scotland
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 05:42:26 pm »
i wasn't in at the preperation, but found it easier carving on the bits of crackling that hat been finely scored thru, as they lifted easily, bigger bits were in danger of falling off into the fire.
we had braziers on both sides i thought it would have been good idea to have a removable dish or something to catch the drips and any drops though.
i took the crackling off when ready then carved in long slices, but u have to be carefull incase some of the deeper layers arn't fully cooked, i just kept turning it like a big kebab.
good luck and mind and have a bite yourself.

mandy

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS