Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Geese laying  (Read 6512 times)

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: Geese laying
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 08:07:33 am »
After a good start ours have eased off a bit this week. Or they've laid them somewhere I haven't found yet! Last year one of our Embdens laid 37 eggs so with 7 geese laying this year it's looking good.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 09:32:42 am »
One of mine has laid seven so far - all in her beautiful nest in the corner of her shed (and immediately taken by me!). The other has yet to start but she's the baby. I think she had built a nest (also in her shed) and her gander has been hissing at me every time I go near the place but unless she's burying the eggs deep, she's not started laying yet. Incubating will begin shortly with everything crossed they manage something fertile this year - and I manage to hatch it for them! Tempted to leave the older girl a few to sit on later but we'll see how we go...

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 10:44:45 am »
We incubated some last year with limited success. We then let a goose sit on seven eggs and she hatched them all. It appears that nature knows best.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 07:52:59 pm »
  8)  still can't find them  >:(  and I have an incubator waiting ......
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS