Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Greenhouse henpen  (Read 1340 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Greenhouse henpen
« on: March 06, 2014, 11:14:42 pm »
Hi
Following on from a topic in 'Rabbits',
We have brought a 6x8 greenhouse home, (before I saw the topic) with some panes, but not sure how many survived vandals and dismantling.
I am now wondering if I could mesh it, with maybe a larger mesh for a floor but grass could grow though, maybe put some sort of roof on, maybe some panes single row high for wind protection, and have a 'walk in' hen run.
The hens (down to 3 + cockerel) could be in a smaller more secure run overnight, within this frame, or if secure enough, I could leave them 'loose' in the frame.
I'd appreciate any thoughts and comments before I go splashing out on the wrong mesh
Thanks

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
Re: Greenhouse henpen
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 08:40:40 am »
It's seems a bit small for a permanent home for 4 birds, to include a roosting box and nest box, although houses this size are often advertised for 6! Perhaps raise the two boxe on stilts to free up the floor space?
I think the floor might need a rethink too - unless you plan to use no bedding and move it each time the've stripped the grass. A solid plywood floor would be easier to clean out.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 08:49:03 am »
Hi Penninehillbilly. Greenhouse frames are pretty flimsy structures. The token cross bracing really just keeps it all square during assembly. The strength of them comes from the glass itself. So you can't put any roof glass in without all the side glass in first. I have assembled and disassembled many and brought two over to France with us because they cost a fortune here and can't be bought second hand. The side glass stacks from the bottom, so you couldn't just have it at the top. I would say you either have all the glass, or none at all except a row along the bottom to add rigidity. They will blow over easily, being so light. The one I have assembled is screwed to a 6''x2" wood joist framework and set perfectly level.

There is no reason why you couldn't use the frame for that purpose, but the mesh needs to replace the glass and so restore strength. Glass is usually 600mm square, but very old greenhouses used 2' square. The aluminium screws and glass clips are readily available -last lot I bought from Wilko's I think.

We used to overwinter our 4 Leghorn Bantams in the 6'x8' greenhouse. It made a very secure enclosure but was prone to overheating, even with the automatic roof window opener. It was really too small for them and they got rather bored. I used to put bags of leaves in for them to scratch about in. A real pain to clean out the coop as space was tight. The Winter coop had to be taken into the greenhouse and then assembled because the door was too narrow at only 2' wide. It would have helped raised off the ground though.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 01:47:27 pm »
Thanks for the info, still mulling over for the best option, ideally I'd move it about, but space, level land and bouncy goats limit those options.
The hens are welsummer x, small up to some I've had, but I think they would get bored so I would probably let them out most of the time, unless I was going to be out until after dusk.
they currently sleep in (2) 4ftx 2.5ft weldmesh cages, raised off the ground so they have a 'downstairs', trouble is they are in the polytunnel, I really want them out.
I'm hoping it would be secure for leaving them loose in it overnight, rather than fastening them in the cages, or thinking of putting one of these cage units in there, they like to sleep right on top, not safe in the poly.
The panes we rescued I was thinking about putting round the bottom (I meant one row high), and perhaps a lighter material (perspex or currugated tim?) over the top.
good point about the floor, and OH is quite useful so he could make extra bracing if needed. I think it would be bolted down somehow, maybe to concrete flags.
still thinking, too busy with other things to get on with it just yet anyway, but the idea is slowly coming together.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS