Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Geese laying  (Read 6500 times)

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
Geese laying
« on: February 24, 2014, 04:33:40 pm »
Embdens have started  :thumbsup:

Got the first egg 16th February and had one every two days since then, got two eggs yesterday so another lady has joined in  :thumbsup:

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: Geese laying
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 06:00:46 pm »
Ours started on the 17th. The older girls are laying nice big eggs from the word go and the youngsters are squeezing out a few smaller ones and making a big fuss about it.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 06:02:24 pm »
Ours is sitting eggs already! Shame their not fertile  >:(. Wonder if I could slip some duck eggs under instead.......

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 09:52:51 pm »
Nothing here yet. But I did see some goslings advertised on Preloved about two weeks ago - I couldn't work out how they'd managed that. Do some geese really come into lay early January?

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 08:13:02 pm »
I'm jealous! None of mine have started yet (or they are hiding them!). I am starting to wonder if I might have miss-sexed one last year as s/he has suddenly become quite territorial and protective of the others. She (or he as may be) attacked my mum last week who took it a little personally! Even faced off against me yesterday but then thought better of it and settled down.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 09:17:49 pm »
My steinbachers haven't started yet either, but they're usually late - start about mid to end of March and lay until they start to sit at the start of May, not a long period to lay.

Last year I bought some blown real goose eggs from a crafting place on ebay to put on possible nesting sites.  will do that again this year - did get a few of them 'eaten' by stoats who were probably disappointed at the lack of contents.

Lucky you clansman, now you need to perfect your lemon curd skills  :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

lilfeeb

• Joined Feb 2013
  • Kinross-shire
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 08:54:09 am »
At least I know the Embden gosling I got from Womble last summer is definately a girl. She has started laying  :D We have had 3 eggs so far. She has got incredibly lazy too though, If she can't be bothered walking accross the field to her shed in the evenings, she will just stop and wait for me to pick her up and carry her accross. She shakes her wings and danders in after i put her down again. it completely bamboozzles the gander! :roflanim:

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 11:11:55 am »
We've got seven laying now. Pretty happy as I sold all the goose eggs I had at the market on saturday.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 04:57:09 pm »
I'm jealous, my Steinbacher's haven't started yet, think it will be another week or so, just all busy wandering and adventuring at the moment.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 08:27:13 pm »
I got one egg about a week ago but none since, she is a new to all this malarky what will be wrong or is this normal.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 08:31:34 pm »
A few of our Muscovy ducks started laying then stopped when the weather worsened again.  Fair weather layers  :D  moody soandsos.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 10:11:48 pm »
I have had 4 goose eggs up to now 2 laid in the goat house 1 in the goose house and 1 outside in the grass ......ha ha what grass I meant mud ::)
Anne

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 11:11:14 am »
Last year one of our geese came in to lay for the first time, she didn't have a nest organised and just plopped it out in front of my OH's feet one day, nice easter surprise that was!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 10:51:29 am »
Well I finally got our first goose egg 3 days ago and the clever thing did it in the goose house  :thumbsup: Unfortunately there hasn't been another one since. 

I'm spying and spying on them and counting and counting to see how many are missing but I can't find their eggs.  I know they must be laying by now, at least 2 out of the 4 females anyway, but I can't find any more eggs. 

Going out again in a minute to spy again.  8)

lilfeeb

• Joined Feb 2013
  • Kinross-shire
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 02:29:04 pm »
our goose has produced 7 eggs so far, the first couple in a very muddy nest, then the next 4 in a much drier nest(easy to get to as well) and number 7 was in the shed this morning. I obviously didn't open the door quick enough for her. :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS