Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep grazing rental  (Read 3711 times)

Quackski

• Joined Jan 2014
Sheep grazing rental
« on: February 23, 2014, 03:36:47 pm »
I previously posted looking for some kind soul who would let me train my isds registered collies on their sheep and drew a blank. I have decided it may be best to rent 1or2acres of grazing land and keep my own sheep. Finding suitable land to rent near St. Helens is proving difficult. does anyone have any advice. Regarding the breed of sheep my wife would like to use the wool and eat the end product whilst I would want dog broken sheep of a suitable breed for an inexperienced dog. Are these aims mutually incompatible ? Plan B move to Cumbria,if only! Thanks for the advice folks.

smee2012

• Joined Sep 2012
Re: Sheep grazing rental
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 09:52:42 pm »
You are welcome to come and practice on my sheep but it's a bit of a trek for you (I'm near Shrewsbury). I also only have four sheep (although this will hopefully be doubled or tripled once the lambs are born in April! They've seen dogs twice before and were a little surprised but not terrified!

As for suitable breeds for getting your own, I have Zwartbles sheep and they are good to eat - lean sweet meat - and the fleece is good for spinning, although it is black so can't really be dyed. They are a very friendly breed (my girls are more like pet dogs!) and can also be used as milking sheep.

Quackski

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 10:58:16 pm »
Hi smee2012

Thanks for your response and for your incredibly kind offer. You are right though we are too far from you for it to be practical. Zwartbles are not a breed I have come across but it sounds like I should look into them. Grazing land does not seem to come up much on the internet. If you don't mind me asking how did you find the land you keep your sheep on? Thanks again. :wave:

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 11:09:08 pm »
Contact your local agri Mart and ask about grazing for sheep most deal with grazing let's for various clients. As far as sheep breeds are concerned well a quiet breed would be suitable, Ryeland comes to mind.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

smee2012

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 09:01:07 am »
If you don't mind me asking how did you find the land you keep your sheep on? Thanks again. :wave:

We bought our house with the option to buy a 2 acre field which is just at the end of our track. We renovated the house and bought the field a couple of years later. We seeded it (as it was previously arable land) with an equine mix - as the intention is to get ponies/horse in the near future - fenced it and split into two paddocks and laid water to an automatic drinking trough.

It cost us an outrageous amount of money (considering it was arable land) but it probably won't lose us money if we ever sell the house, if you know what I mean?

If you have anywhere near you that has cattle, the farmers often like to have sheep on the land after the cattle have been on there - to clean up the grass a bit. That might be an option?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 09:58:03 am »
Zwartbles have black fleece (grey on older animals) and a very large one at that. It spins okay, not next-to-skin softness but okay for other things.  It doesn't felt easily (possibly not at all, I haven't really tried very hard!)

If you are planning on trialling your dogs you may want to make sure they recognise white sheep, horned sheep, and other types of sheep they'll likely meet at trials.  (They won't meet many black sheep in trials. ;))

For spinning and other craft uses, I would have thought Ryeland a better bet, really.  You could get some white ones, so the dogs would know about white sheep too ;) and if your wife would enjoy using the different colours you could get some coloured ones too.

Alternatively, I would have thought you would be able to source mule wethers where you are, and some of them will have nice enough fleeces.  (A mule is out of a hill ewe to a Blue-faced Leicester tup.)  Mules are nice animals and youngsters are very useful for dog training.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Quackski

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 06:53:46 pm »
Thanks for the advice everyone. I will check out where the nearest Mart is to  St Helens as that seems a good way to find contacts. Thanks for that. Two acres would be perfect and at a push I would buy as as you say land prices seem to be going up and up and they are not making any more! Right next to your house as well ,that is perfect. I have entered  3 trials in total now. I have been training with Thomas Longton at Quernmore and also at Crosthwaite. What I lack really is sheep to practice with between lessons. One session per fortnight or at best weekly makes progress difficult. Regarding mules Derek  Scrimgeour where the dogs are from had those as well as Herdwicks. From what you say Sally they may well be a good option. I will bear in mind that cattle farmers may not be averse to land improvement. Thanks again everyone for your suggestions. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS