Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Labour or not?  (Read 2660 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Labour or not?
« on: February 24, 2014, 01:04:07 pm »
I have a shearling Suffolk lambing for first time. Other 3 have produced with problems but given no indication of labour.

This ewe has had a bum like a baboon for about 2 weeks and past week has been really sagging.  Last night there was slight discharge then lunchtime today a bigger discharge, just white gunk no blood or fluid.  Tempted to have a feel inside as concerned about position of lamb causing lack of contractions.

She isn't off food or nesting but them others didn't either. Any suggestions? They are inside and I need to go back to work soon for a couple of hours hence my worry.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: Labour or not?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 01:33:20 pm »
Ok, penned her so she doesn't abandon any lambs and had a gentle feel. Definitely something coming but only as far as the cervix and she isn't pushing.  Going to get someone to check her in an hour while I go back to work and shift my appointments.

Hope it doesn't need a vet  :huff:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 01:47:09 pm »
White gunk would concern me - could be an infection, which in turn could affect the lambs if they're still alive.  Can you feel them moving at all?  I would speak to the vet, personally.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 02:07:55 pm »
Baboon bottom is often an accumulation of fluid in the tissues. This can be caused by excess oestrogen, some plants have high oestrogens and can cause this.
Usually, it shouldn't interfere with the birthing process, but sometimes they may need a hand if the swollen tissues make it hard to squeeze a lamb through, especially if first timer.
If there is discharge, and it feels like something coming, may be worth keeping a really close eye on her.
If she isn't making any progress, sometimes calcium can help, it can give tired muscles a bit of a chance to contract. If the cervix isn't opening properly, sometimes a few fingers inserted through it and gradually stretching can help to open the cervix to deliver the lamb. If you can feel the lamb through the cervix, but she isn't making progress within the next couple of hours, she may need assistance as described, or potentially a caesarian if the cervix won't open.
If lots of assistance is required, (stretching the cervix can sometimes lead to bleeding from small tears) it is worth covering the ewe with an antibiotic like a long acting tetracycline or long acting penicillin to give a couple days cover and prevent infection through bruised or damaged tissues.
:fc: she may well just pop it out when you're not looking!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 02:39:20 pm »
Phew, you're so cool, Scotsgirl. I'd have had the vet out long since and would be in panic mode. Hope all turns out well  :thumbsup:

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 05:05:58 pm »
Unfortunately it was a huge ewe lamb coming backwards and I wasn't quite strong enough to pull it out. The delay in swapping roles was enough to deprive oxygen and we couldn't get her breathing. Very sad but nothing more we could do.

Thanks for replies

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS