Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Injury advice! Graphic photos  (Read 14227 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Injury advice! Graphic photos
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2014, 11:01:15 pm »
Just seen this - OMG  :hug:

You're getting good advice and doing all the right things.  :hug:  :hug: and one for the sheep too  :hug: I hope they all recover.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2014, 11:08:13 pm »
Did he cope with only having a bit of one ear left? Do they act normal and was his balance affected? Is he still with you or has he moved on?

The flap is superficial.  The ear mechanics are within the skull. I know the injuries are horrific to look at but the hearing or balance  will not be affected by an ear flap injury. Try to concentrate on the cleaning of the wounds and getting food and water into them. A glucose dose and multivitamin can help. The infection from bites and shock is what does damage.

Wish I could help more   :hug: 

Edited to say pain relief is essential to keep the sheep eating and wanting to carry on as are antibiotics and washing the wounds to keep flushing out the bacteria  :hug:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 11:12:29 pm by Mammyshaz »

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2014, 07:16:03 am »
You Have all been a massive help!! Just waiting due my OH to get his back side into gear and we will go down to see them. Last night the little in lamb ewe was digging up the straw, I've prayed to god that she is just trying to get comfortable and she's not looking to lamb. :(

They are having Pain relief everyother day

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2014, 10:18:37 am »
 :hug: .  Don't know if it is true, but I've heard that willow contains natural painkiller.  Mine certainly like eating as many willow shoots as I can provide, they nibble at the bark and it keeps them occupied if nothing else :D:fc: for a good recovery.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2014, 10:53:49 am »
Good point Bramblecot - yes I think the bark contains a precursor of aspirin?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2014, 02:21:41 pm »
Willow does indeed contain the precursor for aspirin. Aspirin is salicylic acid, and willows belong to the family Salix .

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2014, 07:30:19 pm »
Update*

They are all now eating (well picking at food) Including the Shetland ewe. She has not lost her lambs as of yet so  :fc: she carries them full term and they are healthy.

The Shetland ewe's ear has gone cold but seems to have bonded back together so we will have to have the vet out again to have a look. The other ear is still warm so it may be saved but it is NOT smelling very nice at all!! Vet is needed!

Feeling very Down in the dumps :(

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2014, 08:16:16 pm »
 :hug: Try to keep your chin up and  :fc:

Dog bites always look worse before they get better,  the infection and dead cells are  coming away as the new ones grow. Just keep washing,washing,washing and don't be shy to give the areas a damn good rub to get rid of all that gooey mess, there will be nice healthy tissue appearing under it in a few days.

Glad they are starting to eat, sounds like they are over the shock stage at least.
 :fc: that your pregnant Shetland holds.
The ear flap that is back together may be fine. It may be that the hot ear is more infected so is 'heated up' while the fight on the infection is going on, so dont give up on either flap

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2014, 11:19:30 am »
What a horrible experience for you and your ewes, I hope they make a good recovery and quickly. You've had so much good advice already that the only thing I can add to it is that meadowsweet also contains high doses of salicylic acid and if you collect and dry it in the summer it is safe for your livestock to eat. It can also be added to a lotion base or coconut oil to make a topical pain killer for soothing sores or injuries for yourself and the animals.
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2014, 11:45:31 am »
They have got through the worst of the shock and are still doing well despite some terrrible injuries time heals  :bouquet:
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2014, 07:24:31 pm »
It's amazing what TLC can achieve :bouquet: - for animals and us ;)
My sheep all prefer coarse mix to nuts, and tidbits can be pickings from the hedgerow, or even digestive/ginger biscuits (ok, I know it is not good for their teeth in the long run).  Anything to make them feel better and give them the will to pull through.  And the meds will do the physical healing.  It will not be quick but the signs are promising :fc: .

Whatever it costs, slap it on the bill for the dog owner.
Just heard the news that a dog has killed a 6 day old baby in Wales :'( .  I wouldn't want to be dealing with that.

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2014, 08:46:57 am »
Its been a few days.  How are they Hillview? 

I'm doing an essay on wound healing and I found a "wound healing continuum" which, if I can find a link I'll post.  In short wounds heal quickest in a warm, moist (not dry or wet) environment.  - not all smell is infection, sometimes its proteins in exudate breaking down.  Puss probably is infection.  As is heat (not warmth - that's good).  Pain is hard to tell on sheep but if they are anything like people then, as already posted, getting rid of it is good for their overall wellbeing - in practical terms they feel well enough to eat and try to get better.  People resist using antibiotics because the bugs build up a resistance to the antibiotics but that's for just this occasion - animal bites deliver lots of bugs deep into the tissue so (obviously take advice from your vet) but don't hold back the antibiotics - especially if they start to run a temperature. 

I wish the essay was this quick.  Now to find the continuum thingy link...
Never ever give up.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS