Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Injury advice! Graphic photos  (Read 14221 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Re: Injury advice! Graphic photos
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2014, 10:10:54 am »
Thank you very much tim! Will contact NSA during the week!

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2014, 10:30:51 am »
awful  :bouquet: Hope things improve soon.  Re pinning the blame on a particular dog and too late in this case here the police can request a vet to induce the accused dog to vomit if found shortly after an attack but there is still some doubt over liability. Evidence of fleece etc brought back can be considered definative especially if a destruction order is requested.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2014, 11:34:52 am »
Utterly horrendous for you and the sheep - but as others have said, they are resilient creatures and many survive perfectly well with pieces missing from ears etc.

Shock and infection are the main things to worry about now and you're doing all the right things there.  Make sure they are eating and drinking - if any are listless get some water (with a bit of glucose in if you like) into their mouths.  They must drink when they've had injuries like this.

I hate to say it, but in my experience any abortion may not be immediate, and/or there could be dead or malformed lambs born downstream.  Just concentrate on keeping her fit and active, nature will take its course.  Hopefully a tough little primitive type will hold onto her lamb(s) and pop and rear it/them in due course  :fc:

I know how upset I was when a good ewe with twin lambs at foot died of shock after what we believe was a minor run-in with a dog that was playing (no malice intended) with her lambs. And when a boy racer ploughed through some of our sheep on the road, killing and maiming five.  It takes a long time to get over it  :hug: :bouquet:

Fingers crossed your ladies recover and give you many more years.  They are lucky to have an owner who clearly will put their welfare first.  :-*
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2014, 12:11:34 pm »
When claiming compensation work out the consequential loss, particularly if they are home bred pedigrees.  I once did this for a neighbour whose dog ran my sheep.  On the basis that I can expect one of my home-bred pedigree, registered Southdowns to have twins for at least seven years, and assuming that half are rams, some of which will be suitable for breeding, and half ewes which will themselves have twin lambs from the age of two onwards the mathematics get quite interesting, specially when you apply the Southdown Sheep Society upset prices for breeding stock. When I told the neighbour he sheep, being from a closed, pedigree rare breed flock, were irreplaceable and I would be suing him for around £15K per sheep he went quite white and the dog was on a lead from then on.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2014, 01:24:59 pm »
 :bouquet: So, so sorry.
Did the police get a sample of the blood from the dog's mouth?  If not, why not?  Push the OIC on that one as it could be your actual proof. >:( .

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2014, 03:21:24 pm »
Sadly not as the owners were not home and the dogs were inside. If my witness in his statement matches the same dog then they said that will be good enough to do them for it.

Sally, Just gone to give the little ewe some glucose and the bloody mice have had a part with it and p**sed all over it  :rant: And It was cleaned out on Thursday morning so they have done it since then. We gave her 90ml of water. Shall I get some Lucozade and give it to her flat?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2014, 03:24:48 pm »
Yes, Lucozade :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2014, 04:31:25 pm »
Just had a look at your sheep's injuries and  I think if you can keep them from getting infections they will recover. I found the pictures very hard to look at best of luck :fc:
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2014, 04:54:38 pm »
The poor loves. Wishing them all a speedy recovery x

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2014, 06:24:45 pm »
I am in tears seeing the injuries - how sad :(

Does you nieghbour have any morals and wants to help - law dont get far these days :(

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2014, 07:22:27 pm »
It took me 24hours for it to sink in, I went in on Friday morning and was just outside the pen on my knees balling my eyes out, Every time I see them I have a little cry. I try to run my flock as a business but I cant help but see then as my Pets.

There is a wether I got from Ladygrey. He has the worse facial injuries and is facing loosing his ear, He was to be slaughtered but I got attached to him and he became 'Nanny Jack' He looks after the ewe lambs as I find an adult in the flock helps.  :fc: he can still be nanny Jack.

Will pop to the petrol station and get a bottle of Lucozade!

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2014, 07:36:20 pm »
Dogs are a big problem with us. Last year we had a number still born/aborted late in term which we believe to be due some lampers, although can never prove that. A couple of months ago we had a tup lamb get attacked who was never the sharpest in the bunch, so wasn't really surprising it was him that got caught first. He had one ear ripped clean off flush with the skull and the other one skinned. Most of the second ear fell off later on, He also had a hole in his neck which any grass he chewed came straight out of for a few days. He was a bit shaken for probably a week and spent a fair bit of that time looking a bit sorry for himself. All we did was keep them clean as best as we could and iodine them. Its amazing how quickly they recover as long as they are making the effort. We knew based on his normal behaviour if we couldn't catch him, he would be fine.   

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2014, 08:55:35 pm »
Did he cope with only having a bit of one ear left? Do they act normal and was his balance affected? Is he still with you or has he moved on?

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2014, 09:02:15 pm »
He is still with us. He was a bottle fed lamb that never really gained enough to go in the autumn and this set him back a bit more so we decided to keep him until spring if it ever arrives. Now he's almost where we would expect him to be considering the wet weather, fits in well with the rest of the flock, is as normal as he ever was and has no balance issues whatsoever. The ear he had left was skinned from base to tip with the upper half hanging off. That fell a few days after and the rest rounded off. Must have been sore but survived fine, even though he as struggling with the hole in his throat as well. We have another two ewes with various bits of ears missing unfortunately for the same reason and they are also fine.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 09:04:59 pm by moony »

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2014, 09:21:03 pm »
How awful :hug:   there but for the grace of god go us all.  So sorry it was your turn so to speak but you sound really caring and the sheep have the best possible chance.
Never ever give up.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS