Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hand soil auger for bore hole  (Read 2647 times)

SirDoolb

• Joined Sep 2013
  • rock of ages
Hand soil auger for bore hole
« on: February 10, 2014, 04:27:47 pm »
Anyone have anything like the Seymour hand soil auger for bore holes?
Is there any where in England that sells them and extensions?
Anyone actually made their own bore hole? I've been watching youtube vids and I'd like to give it a go, only falling at first hurdle - equipment.

I'm thinking that what at first looks like a fun and easy project may turn out to be not quite so easy.  :knit:

Still, worth further investigation as this is my play time so I don't want to be bounded by common sense. If that was the case I'd get myself a nice little office job.  :gloomy:

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
Re: Hand soil auger for bore hole
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 08:12:54 pm »
I've got an army one but it's not long - I guess you could fit extension pieces to it...
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 04:57:48 am »
I think the problem with bore holes is getting the porous pot liner down before the walls collapse SirDoolb. I looked at one for garden watering. It was going to be 10" diameter and 30 metres deep to get sufficient water extraction rates. The water table was only 10 metres down. Then I started looking at building a well using concrete rings based loosely on the original brick well method. But I would have to keep adding to it in dry periods and 10 metres is a long way to climb down a 3 foot hole. Again, water extraction rates were a problem, as too fast and you start pumping silt. So I gave that idea up. Decided I needed to spend £10K on the proper job and it wasn't worth it. Biggest expense is removing the spoil.

SirDoolb

• Joined Sep 2013
  • rock of ages
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 05:52:19 pm »
OK, thanks for your experience.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS