Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pH meters - are they any use?  (Read 4842 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
pH meters - are they any use?
« on: February 18, 2014, 07:49:13 pm »
I need to test the soil for pH in various areas of our smallholding. TBH, I can't bothered faffing around with the wee bottles and test kit but can anyone tell me if the pH meters are any use and if so, what's the best to buy.

Thanks

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
Re: pH meters - are they any use?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 11:31:44 pm »
Just done a quick read around - not sure about the usefulness of the cheaper end of the available tools.

To get accurate results you'd need a pH meter similar to that used by the labs - one that needs calibration against solutions of known pH before use.

Found this paper: http://smallfarms.oregonstate.edu/sfn/f10SoilPh

It shows the results from the simple probes are not very good.

This site sells a variety: http://www.digital-meters.com/chemical-analysis-c2/ph-meters-c28#t45

I would think the Sinometer would perform as per a 'simple probe' and the Lutron in the carry case would give results more in line with the lab.

The price differential is quite large, but if you want a good picture of your soil pH, I expect the Lutron would be a better choice.

HTH
Sue
(Used to be a Biochemist in a former life, and then I worked for a company that manufactured instrumentation for measuring pH and other interesting things)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 01:05:22 pm »
Just done a quick read around - not sure about the usefulness of the cheaper end of the available tools.

(Used to be a Biochemist in a former life, and then I worked for a company that manufactured instrumentation for measuring pH and other interesting things)

Thanks, Sue - that's what's fab about TAS is the amount of expertise out there!!

I had one of the green cheap ones but I was never very sure of its accuracy but not sure I want to spend £61  :thinking:

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 01:21:41 pm »
Last time we had our soil tested - pH, P, K and Mg, for 4 fields, it cost £40. - That was a couple of years back.

Might be worth going that route - we had ours organised by our local agent for Scotgrain Agriculture - and they supplied the Maglime we needed to correct our pH, before using fertiliser.

We're very acid here - right next to a peat grouse moor - the fields had a pH of 5 - much too low for the fertiliser to do any good.

Sue

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 02:54:19 pm »
We've had the fields done twice and treated based on the results. This was really for the garden and the orchard / poultry pens that I'd really like to test more frequently because I'm sure the poultry pens must be suffering  :)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 03:49:37 pm »
can you not just use a digital one designed for solids  (ie soaps  ::)) rather than the paper style ones designed for liquids. ph is ph surely, whether its soap or mud?
we are looking at getting one soon and they dont seem very expensive.

?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 03:57:41 pm »
can you not just use a digital one designed for solids  (ie soaps  ::) ) rather than the paper style ones designed for liquids. ph is ph surely, whether its soap or mud?
we are looking at getting one soon and they dont seem very expensive.

?

It's the probe type I've been looking at and that's what Sue reviewed for me. I'm sure I've got a cheapy one somewhere but I was never convinced of accuracy - the needle swung around alarmingly.

I might see if any chums want to share the investment in a decent one  :innocent:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 08:28:03 pm »
I wasn't really joking Rosemary.  Surely if you shake up a bit of your soil in some distilled water, pH paper could be used just the same as a meter?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 07:09:52 am »
I wasn't really joking Rosemary.  Surely if you shake up a bit of your soil in some distilled water, pH paper could be used just the same as a meter?

I want a machine, OK?  ;D

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 07:22:59 am »
Are you sure you're not a bloke, Rosemary?  :-J

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 07:34:21 am »
Are you sure you're not a bloke, Rosemary?  :-J

Not the last time I checked - but sometimes coloured strips of paper just aren't enough  ;D

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 08:24:04 am »
Countrywide charged me  £15  a field..... which I was happy with ..... not so happy with the pH of 5  to 5.4 results!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS