Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: can you legally travel a goat in a dog crate in a 4x4 car?  (Read 8476 times)

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
can you legally travel a goat in a dog crate in a 4x4 car?
« on: February 07, 2014, 03:16:14 pm »
I need to pick up a goat from central London but don't have access to a trailer.hes small enough to fit in a dog crate in my car but im not sure if its legal to do this?
I can't find anything on the web/defra to say wether it is or isn't legally allowed in the uk?

can anyone help please?

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Re: can you legally travel a goat in a dog crate in a 4x4 car?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 03:24:35 pm »
I hope  its ok, as I have done it in a hatchback style car. As long as you can clean up afterwards. Someone will be along soon that will know    :fc:
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 03:27:49 pm »
I have taken kids in large dog crates in the back of a normal family estate before, to is the safest way to travel for them rather than a massive trailer.

My (adult) GG's have also travelled in the back of a pick-up, it was tall enough for them to stand up in. I think that's the most important - they have to be able to stand up and do their business...

So if the goats can stand up and turn round in the crate, s/he would be fine to travel in it. I guess s/he is then also small enough to be lifted in/out of the car?

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 03:29:48 pm »
I do it all the time with our pygmies, just make sure you have the correct DEFRA paperwork, don't know the English versions but the Scottish paperwork has a bit you fill in as to how far you are travelling with it - if it's over a certain distance (can't remember what, 40 miles or so (?)) you have to have another permit, but who's counting  :innocent:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 03:31:28 pm »
Oh, and a PS:

Good idea to put a big sheet down in the car first and then the crate on - it stops the crate slipping around and also they're not so accurate when weeing  :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 03:34:35 pm »
Oh, and a PS:

Good idea to put a big sheet down in the car first and then the crate on - it stops the crate slipping around and also they're not so accurate when weeing  :D

but not as bad as piglets.....

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 03:46:10 pm »
thanks iv done it before too but wasn't going thru central London where im more likely to meet a police man who may question me, so wanted to know its it actually illegal incase I get stopped.its not a long journey, under an hour just straight thru London.
thanks all.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 04:26:12 pm »
We had this discussion at our goat club. Yes its entirely legal so long as you can thoroughly clean the area that the goat has travelled in afterwards.  The onus is on the goat being as stress free as possible and our arguement is that a lonely goat in a trailer will stress more than a goat in a (suitable) car with a person to keep it calm.
Just as well, I've transported 4 dairy goats in the back of a vw caravelle and yes, we got some odd looks  ;D   
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 04:41:40 pm »
Even more important  : DON'T turn off your Engine until she's unloaded otherwise she'll pee straight away.
 :innocent: lots of old paper feed bags to act as a sponge on top of a large plastic sheet.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 06:29:30 pm »
I was advised not to have the heating on full blast,  anyone know why?
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 06:41:06 pm »
the goats will over heat.i always have windows open a bit for air flow

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 06:56:00 pm »
I do it all the time with our pygmies, just make sure you have the correct DEFRA paperwork, don't know the English versions but the Scottish paperwork has a bit you fill in as to how far you are travelling with it - if it's over a certain distance (can't remember what, 40 miles or so (?)) you have to have another permit, but who's counting  :innocent:

This is true. Alto there's an exemption for pet animals even if livestock species, an exemption if the transport isn't in connection with an economic activity (business) and also (crucial here) an exemption if the number if animals doesn't exceed the number of handlers ie one person with one animals will never need the cert. So should be A-OK here.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 12:20:57 pm »
My only trailer is a big horse one - costs a fortune in fuel to tow that around.l have carried my big goats, sheep, etc in the back of a Landrover, and now we have a Ford Ranger with a large back on it, in there.  To be honest, they enjoy standing up looking out of the back window!!  Much better than a trailer they say.
I did move three pygmy goats with large horns (one an intact male) from Newcastle, in the back of a small van.  I put cardboard on the back windows, just in case the male decided to headbutt  the glass on the motorway!!

I always take my goat kids to the vets for disbudding in a large dog crate - carry it straight into the vets, and then pop them back in and bring them home.  Much easier than carrying numerous goats in and out of cars.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 09:38:43 pm »
I had kids in a crate on a ferry  :innocent:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 10:02:07 pm »
Travelled  loads of goats and lambs in the car  ::) never had a problem except the time we had one of the girls to visit a friends Billy and the trailer developed a wheel problem  ::)  so into the car she went to bring her home for weeks after you could smell billy in the car. At least it stopped people borrowing my car   :innocent:
Graham

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS