Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: HANDMADE SLATE SIGNS  (Read 16092 times)

HappyHippy

HANDMADE SLATE SIGNS
« on: September 13, 2009, 12:16:15 pm »
Hello all,
This is a shameless plug of the signs I make, sorry !
They are handmade from scottish slate, the designs are hand carved, before being painted then varnished to protect them.
The larger signs are approx 14 inches by 8 inches while the smaller ones are 8 inches by 6 inches. I can make house signs, stable signs, garden signs, standing signs, hanging signs etc and have a range of design motifs and text styles - pretty much whatever you want.
I'm looking for feedback (and orders if you want  ;))
Do you like them ?
Would you pay £20 for a big one or £10 for a small one ?
Can you suggest signs that would be helpfull for yourself or other smallholders?

Looking forward to your comments  ;)
Karen x
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 12:33:02 pm by HappyHippy »

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: SIGNS
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 12:22:11 pm »
Karen they are very nice indeed. I like the Eggs for sale one! Hope all goes well, I do not think your price os expensive.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 12:48:13 pm »
These are lovely. I would buy one - coudl you do one with my horse's name on it to go outside his stable - everyone else has them but I've never seen any I like. Most are pretty naf with clipart horses and poor lettering on wood, but these are lovely.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 01:08:58 pm »
they look good, good price too.
linz

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 01:33:03 pm »
Hi Karen, they look great I would be interested in buying one. I have been looking around for a sign re 'chickens' and 'closing the garden gate' but couldn't find anything suitable.  Maybe you could come up with something. I also like the Scottish slate idea. Prices are good too.
JD

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 02:03:31 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D Glad you like them  ;D ;D ;D

Rosemary & JD - I have pm'd you.

If anyone else is interested I'm always happy to discuss ideas, layout etc - please get in touch.
Karen  ;D
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 08:09:42 pm by HappyHippy »

sandy

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 08:27:06 pm »
they are very nice, just ordered a cast iron sign for our house and it was a bit lot more than £20 :love:!!! Due to the style of the house etc we opted for an old style sign anyway!!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 06:33:27 am »
They are lovely

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 06:32:25 pm »
How good are you at drawing a Ryeland sheep as would be interested in a sign promoting my sheep.
How much do you charge postage etc.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 07:33:52 pm »
Kaz,
I've never tried drawing a ryeland - YET !  ;D
Do you want it very detailed or more stylised like the horse/chicken ?
Let me know and leave it with me for a few days and I'll see what I can do, it'd be handy if you pm'd me your email and I can send pictures for approval straight to you.
The signs are £20 for a large(14 x 8 approx) or £10 for the small (6 x 8 approx) postage would be around £3 - £4 depending on the size.
Thanks, Karen x

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 08:47:08 pm »
I would love a sign for our gate with a gloucester old spot on! is there any chance you could do that? they look lovely and prices are good!!

Unicorn

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 01:02:25 pm »
I would love a sign for our gate with a gloucester old spot on! is there any chance you could do that? they look lovely and prices are good!!

Me too, this is our Gloucestershire Old Spot Logo - it is a pencil drawing of one
of our pigs

Would it post to Ireland without breaking?

PS You have my permission to use my pig for Dixie as well if she likes it - Julie
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 12:40:55 pm by Dan »

HappyHippy

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 01:33:00 pm »
Hi Julie,
Gorgeous drawing  ;D
This was what I came up with, but could try to make it more detailed if you want ?
I think it would post okay - I have LOTS of jiffy bags and plastic bags for packing - I'll check out postage costs.
Karen x
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 01:35:01 pm by HappyHippy »

Unicorn

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 01:48:13 pm »
Could you just do the outline and white spots, like the Horses head???

Would it stand out?  I have never done engraving so useless at imagining it.

I like the font on the Eggs for Sale one best, and the Slate used for the Horses
Head would look good with the farm name at top, and logo underneath - save
you having to cut an arched top - I want to screw it to the Entrance Gate Pillars.

HappyHippy

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 04:01:56 pm »
Hi Julie,
Here are some rough sketches on paper of other designs, I will engrave the one with the spots and send you an email and photo as soon as I can.
I can do curved slate - I have the technology (and an obliging hubby ;))
I've got a really nice slate with a curved top and straight sides - it lends itself to a piggy in the middle with T******** curved at the top and Farm at the bottom  ;) ;D It's not quite as big as 14 x 8 - I don't think, but I'll measure it and send you a photo - lots of choice of texts too, but I'll put that in the email too - give me a couple of days - it's a bit hectic here (as always LOL)
Karen x
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 04:07:38 pm by HappyHippy »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS