Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A question for goat breeders...  (Read 7003 times)

HappyHippy

A question for goat breeders...
« on: January 29, 2014, 02:38:37 pm »
Can any of you guys SMELL when your nanny is about to kid ?
Thanks
Karen x

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: A question for goat breeders...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 02:43:39 pm »
Cannae wait for replies to this  :innocent:

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 02:44:54 pm »
After the week i have had ......

Clearly not !!!
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 02:50:37 pm »
After the week i have had ......

Clearly not !!!

They keeping you on your toes? :eyelashes:

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 02:52:57 pm »
No - but got the sexy spray of billy today while checking him over - all down my trousers - yuk yuk yuk - straight in to the shower, but still get whiffs even now!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 02:55:11 pm »
You daft Hippy, they crochet booties that's how you know.  So what made you think of that then?  ;D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 02:58:07 pm »
Pre kidding smell might be indicative of a problem , decomposing kid or infection , check for raised temperature and discharge.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 03:24:12 pm »
no idea, don't keep goats, do love them though...

what on earth put this random thought in your head karen...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 03:28:42 pm »
Although I do check my girls' rear end regularly, especially close to kidding time, it's only looking. I don't really get my nose close enough to smell...

As Tizaala says if there is a smell (and it wouldn't be a nice one) then it may be indicative of a dead/decomposing foetus inside. Usually would also be some dark brown discharge.

Changes in behaviour are much more indicative of imminent labour - they are just restless, not interested in food (usually, but not all of them ;D) and get up/lie down/scratch the ground. Also then their rear end is usually quite pink and puffed up and the udder is normally really full too. Some discharge for a few days beforehand (but not like described above) is normal.

Any of your girls have a smell??? If yes, may be needing investigation!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 04:19:18 pm »
 ;D  fab question though!

Somewhere I have a close up of an immediately prelabour vulva (goats!!) if you want me to send it to you. I think that was one of the best indicators..along with sit down, lie down, stand up, stretch, can't get comfy (and that was just me  ;)  )
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 06:21:44 pm »
Thank you all (what would I do without my fabby TAS friends  :-* )

I was just doing a bit of checking after overhearing someone who said they could smell when the goats were about to kid, I thought that would be quite unlikely and wanted some more experienced views on the subject  :thumbsup:

Amanda you made me  :roflanim: booties !  ::) It would be goat cardigans they'd be knitting at this time of year  :-J  ;D

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 06:37:53 pm »
im sure they do smell differently but you would have to have a very good sense of smell, dogs are supposed to smell things like that. i cant smell anything though.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 07:14:09 pm »
You do realise that now everyone here with a pregnant goat is off out to give it a sniff......... ;D

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 07:37:58 pm »
You do realise that now everyone here with a pregnant goat is off out to give it a sniff......... ;D

eeehhhhmmmm.... no

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 09:46:57 pm »

Well if you want to come and sniff my goats feel free but I'm not doing it (yuk emoticon need here Dan)

Mind you maybe sniffing someone else's goats is the sort of thing to get you arrested  :-J
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS