Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: HELP, Pygmy just givin birth update  (Read 6425 times)

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Re: HELP, Pygmy just givin birth update
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 03:56:25 pm »
UPDATE

The original post was about mum number 1 however this update is about her twin, mum number 2.

Checked on goats at 5pm and all seemed fine. At 9 pm checked again and mum number 2 had delivered a single kid which was all cleaned up so guessing she was born about 7 pm, so once again I missed it.

Wasn't happy with mum number 2 presentation so seeked advice from shy girl and MGOM. Thank you so much :thumbsup:. At midnight phoned vet who said that as she was now more settled we would leave her and reassess in the morning. Hubby  sat with her till 330 am.  I went out this morning at 5.30. Still wasn't happy with how she was presenting so after another conversation with vet, we took her into the surgery and were given the choice of pts or c- section. Advised that there was a kid which was stuck and possible dead so we chose to have c- section to at least save the mum and low and behold kid was alive.  :excited:

They're back home now and mums a bit groggy so hopefully all will be well.

delighted with the outcome, however it's all physically and emotionally exhausting, but I guess it's part of the learning curve.
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 04:39:31 pm »
A rollercoaster there then but at least mum and kids are fine - that the best outcome  :thumbsup:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 05:36:07 pm »
hope its all plain sailing now. great outcome  :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 06:13:11 pm »
Congratulations.  :thumbsup:

Next time has got to be easier.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 06:18:12 pm »
Well done! We had to have a c section on a Pygmy last year and it was very traumatic  :o. Keep an eye on her milk as ours went off hers abit and I had to top baby up with a bottle and she only had one to feed. The result was a very tame little girl who we all adore  :love:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 01:54:00 pm »
Oh no... but that's a really good outcome. Hopefully mum will be ok once her pains have reduced. Goats are a bit like men with flu... but request painkillers for her!

Have you got a goatkeeper nearby with milkers currently in milk? Just so that if you need to top the kids up you may be able to do it cheaper and easier... I am too far away though I think.

:fc: it all works out ok.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 02:44:42 pm »
A livestock story with a happy ending, how lucky is that!  Well done pygmy mums and owners  :relief: always good to have a learning curve in there too  :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2014, 06:35:22 pm »
everything still ok? hoping them a quick recovery  :thumbsup:

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2014, 09:25:41 pm »
Everything is good, I have some photos but can't get them to upload, will try again
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 09:49:02 pm »
thats really good, welldone.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS