Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How does Snuffle look?  (Read 9466 times)

kazschow

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: How does Snuffle look?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 09:36:02 am »
What's boar taint?

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 07:41:28 pm »
Apparently boars over a certain age and maturity can taste a bit fishy or at least that's what my father-in-law says.

Night in the trailer may not be an option as the trailer we have is a bit wee.  Infact, I'm a bit worried about its size so we are going to get it into the field this weekend, feed the pigs in it and see how they fit!  If they don't fit comfortably we have a big problem on our hands!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 09:39:38 pm »
Yes. boars coming to sexual maturity start to taint the meat: boars, goats etc
If they're slaughtered early enough its fine... or else castrate them as babies

Hope your trailer is ok Mirimaran, if not you'll have to borrow one!
Little Blue

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2009, 12:26:49 pm »
Although we have never had boar taint, and a friend (I keep repeating this story) had an 18 month old working boar, who got a bit antsy with her, so she offed him to the abattoir, he came back in 4 pieces as they could not carry him in 2. 

Other friends have done tamworth and tamworth cross boars (both well over a year) and they were both rank.  But to me they stank before they went off, so was not surprised. 

Moral of this diatribe is how does he smell ?

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2009, 06:19:47 pm »
They both smell their normal piggy smell - no worse than normal!!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2009, 09:05:52 pm »
Then the meat (in the opinion of me) will be superb

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2009, 09:46:13 pm »
Goodo that's what I like to hear!  Can't wait to get eating them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2009, 09:05:47 pm »
OK the pigs are booked in for Friday, they fit in the trailer, the car can tow the trailer out of the field and down the lane - I think we are set.  I have filled in as much as I can of the AML2 form and the food chain form - is there anything else I need to be panicing about?

I so want to get everything right!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2009, 12:01:58 am »
Andrew gave us a short talk tonight at the CSSA meeting (he used to be a butcher).  He said to make sure you know what you want your butcher to give you back before they go to slaughter.  The animal is divided into four Primals he said and he gave us a chart - it should be on a website somewhere, which shows the different cuts.  But basically ask for the sort of cuts you normally eat from the supermarket - if you don't eat a lot of roasts then just have leg ones and put the shoulder into smaller pieces for casseroles and roasting.  These websites are useful
I wish I had asked for more bacon from Andrew - that was the quickest thing to go in our house

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOookzk9aZ4
http://www.recipes4us.co.uk/Pork%20Cuts.htm
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2009, 09:12:42 pm »
Everything is coming back to us and we are doing the butchery on the kitchen table - a butcher friend is helping us.

Would like to have been with you there though!

Gave the pigs lots of apples today and then scrubbed their eartags today to make sure they are readable - felt slightly duplicitous!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2009, 09:23:14 am »
Have a look at the QMS website Quality Meat Scotland.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2009, 07:11:51 pm »
OK thanks for that - will do!

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2009, 07:36:52 pm »
Hi Mirimaran, did your pigs go today? How did it go?  :-\

I've spent all day chasing mine around, one of the gilts have come in to season and the bore has decided he's now a show jumper, she should have long gone but the people who wanted her let me down and he's her dad. ::) ::)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2009, 08:02:38 pm »
Looking forward to seeing your boar at Hickstead soon - sounds very comical, but probably not much fun at the time!

Yes the pigs went today - today has been a bit manic.  My OH is a policeman and works in the Major Crime Unit.  A man was murdered and found in the boot of his car yesterday so my OH was working on that and didn't get in until 2am.  Just before the alarm went off at 6am my 7 year old woke us up saying he had a dicky tum.  My OH was so tired he could barely string a sentence together.

Because our trailer is too small for the pigs to sleep in we had to load them up this morning and of course Snuffle refused to go in, but eventually conceded when he realised Niffle was eating all the food.  We had to prod Snuffle's bottom to get him to go all the way in.  I was really worried that the journey would be really stressful for them, when they got to the abattoir they'd both fallen asleep and my OH had to go into the trailer and prod them to wake up!  They then mosied slowly on down to their pen without a care in the world.  So all in all it went very well.

I then had to take my 5 year old to school and made Oliver (who had to stay off school because of his tummy) come to work with me as i was very over due to prune some shrubs for a customer.  I then decided that since Oliver was off and often complains of having headaches I'd have his eyes checked.  The appointment ran over time so I was very late for picking Harry up!

So all in all a successful, busy and rather strange day.  The interesting thing is that the children are not upset at all about the pigs going so I think we have succeeded in making sure the children were clear about what the pigs were for.  Harry has even asked how soon he'll be able to eat some Niffle sausages!!

The only slight hiccup is that the boys want to keep the pigs skulls and I really don't fancy skinning the heads e.t.c and then boiling them, but other then burying the heads for a year I think boiling ids the only way to go.  How do I get the brains out and get the cavity clean??  I want to concentrate on sausage making not skull boiling!!  Any advice on skull cleaning would be very welcome!!

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2009, 08:28:07 pm »
Looking forward to seeing your boar at Hickstead soon - sounds very comical, but probably not much fun at the time!

I was thinking of the grand national, if only i can teach him to take a saddle!  :-\ :-\ ;D

Glad things went well for you, its good to keep busy. I know what its like having the OH in the police, my OH's married to the job. You feel so guilt when they've had a hard night and then come home to even more problems ie sick kids, mad pigs and escapee horses, thankful the OH was off today so has been doing the school run while i seem to have spent all day running after animals and rebuilding fencing!

Hope your little one's feeling better soon, as for the skulls I have no idea how to remove the brains, I'd boil them?? Mine are in to dinosaurs at the moment and spend most of their time in the garden digging for dinosaur bones, keeps them entertained for hours.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS