Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How does Snuffle look?  (Read 9464 times)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: How does Snuffle look?
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2009, 09:11:41 pm »
Hey Mirimaran
Hope you boy gets better for the weekend! Heard about the 'job' that kept the police busy last night and today. My o/h was in the Specials a few years ago so have had a few sleepness nights myself. Things are different now...isn't funny how much life can change?!
Good luck with the butchery it'll be worth it in the end!
I think you're right about boiling the skulls, it will be very messy to scrape it clean if you dont. And you'll have to boil to make the bone safe for the kids anyway. When I do stuff for work (eg owl pellets!) I have to soak them in disinfectant as well before the kids gat anywhere near.  Be interested to hear how you get on skull-wise...
Little Blue

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2009, 10:00:23 pm »
Pegasus pig, Harry (my 5 year old) is in the process of making a bone collection and was thrilled yesterday when I found a Blackbird skull!  Oliver (my 7 year old) has a dried out frog in a box that he found on a road!  OMG my boys have a dark side!!

I'm planning to boil the skulls, but am really not looking forward to it!

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2009, 12:58:48 am »
Ha ha boys!! ::) ::) ::) ::) The sister-in-law is getting married tomorrow and the kids went to the rehearsals with the OH tonight, when they came back the first thing i was told was that Auntie Donna's getting married and theres dead people under the ground there!! really looking forwards to tomorrow now can just see the conversations, and the looks on the faces from the family. They think I'm strange as it is!! :o :o :o

I tell the butcher to keep the heads, i just can not deal with them, feel guilty enough as it is. You are so lucky having someone who can show you how to butcher them, I'd love to have a go. I'll go on a course one day when i get time away from this mad house.  :D :D :D

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2009, 07:38:17 pm »
We are very lucky.  The owner of the farm shop where our butcher friend works has said that if we are struggling to get all the butchery done or struggling for space then to take the meat down to him and we can do it at the shop with his other butchers helping!!

He's also wanting us to start breeding tradititional breeds as he's been struggling to find enough meat to keep up with demand and has ended up having to use commercail pigs, but were not ready for that yet.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2009, 09:43:47 pm »
Boil the head, make brawn, eat the brawn, keep boiling the skull.  Make soup, keep boiling until finally its just a skull. 

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2009, 09:47:45 pm »
Does it smell OK when you boil the heads?  How do I get the brains out?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS