Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How does Snuffle look?  (Read 9467 times)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
How does Snuffle look?
« on: September 08, 2009, 09:24:09 pm »

As a newbie to pig keeping I don't have the experience to see by eye whether Snuffle looks like a good weight.  I don't mean good weight for slaughter, but as in not too fat and not too thin.  My hunch is that he is OK, but would like anyones opinion please. He is 6 1/2 months.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: How does Snuffle look?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 11:08:10 pm »
Hmmm - looks about right to me - 50 roasts, a good few chops, and a packet of scratchings
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 01:50:04 am »
He looks good to me MiriMaran...but don't let him go much longer unless you intend keeping him for breeding

farmer
 :farmer:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 06:54:13 am »
He looks great. 

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 09:20:02 am »
Agreed he looks nice, but needs to get in the freezer pretty quick!!

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 07:35:52 pm »
Thank goodness for that!  I thought he looked OK, but was worried everyone would be saying he's too fat or too thin!  We are planning to talk to our butcher neighbour to sort out a date for everything.  He is really keen to help with the butchery and will be ordering sausages casings e.t.c. for us.  We plan to see him on Monday to get the ball rolling.  Talking of balls I had no idea boars whatsits were quite so large!!

I have to confess that I feel psychology ready for them to go - especially since Niffle tried to hump me the other day!!!  I've loved their company, but I just see yummy food now!!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 09:13:26 pm »
Enormous, arent they?! Boars bits I mean. But dont you think they always have "feminine" feet - v delicate?!
Think Ive asked before, what slaughterhouse are you using, cos you're quite close to us?
Little Blue

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 09:44:43 pm »
Elliots in Chesterfield then the carcasses will be delivered to Crouts Farm Shop in Duffield where out butcher neighbour works and then he'll bring the carcasses home.  That's the plan anyway!

Where are you?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 09:02:20 am »
You are in for the taste experience of a lifetime.  Dont forget to make bacon and gammon too.  Have you ordered the next 2 yet?  Once your visitors, neighbours, friends have tasted the pork you wont have much left.

It amazes me how my son always manages to time his visits to when we are doing a pig for ourselves. 

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 12:21:57 pm »
Snuffle looks like he needs to go soon before his big gonads take over. I'm sure he will taste fantastic. I have just booked in two gilts to go to Branhalls at Oxspring for their holidays( so to speak). Allways an interesting time, and what its all about. They are booked in then for process by local butcher. I get quite excited by the thoughts of all that lovely pork and what we can do with it. I hope it all goes well for you.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 06:37:50 pm »
According to my butcher boars bits are very popular in Jamaican cookery now there could be a whole new market ...

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 08:26:03 pm »
Thanks everyone.  Is there any chance that we have left it too long and they are going to have boar taint?

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 09:18:51 pm »
Elliots in Chesterfield then the carcasses will be delivered to Crouts Farm Shop in Duffield where out butcher neighbour works and then he'll bring the carcasses home.  That's the plan anyway!

Where are you?

Thanks for that, see PM!  Are you taking him yourself? Night in the trailer for him...
Little Blue

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 10:39:16 pm »
Don't worry about Boar Taint...very unusual in outdoor reared pigs and not likely at such an early age

farmer
 :farmer:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 07:06:50 am »
And in the very unlikely event he will still make great sausages and bacon

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS