Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Open Office ? Problems  (Read 2673 times)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Open Office ? Problems
« on: January 13, 2014, 04:06:32 pm »
Hi a few months ago I installed OpenOffice, which has been fine and I have been using it to write my Travel Journal.  Today I went to open the programme and it just asks me to install it as though I am a new user.

If I go through with the installation programme will I be able to reach the work I have already done and saved?  Or will the reinstall overwrite it all?

I am using Windows 8 and not very good with it - it doesnt have Windows Explorer, and though I have tried to use their help I am not sure how to see if the files are saved and where
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Open Office ? Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 04:57:33 pm »
Hiya,

Your files (like your journal) should be saved onto a drive somewhere (probably ‘my documents’ from the sound of it, which I think is called ‘this PC’ in windows 8), so shouldn’t be touched by any new installation.

However, if it were me, I’d find them and copy them to a CD or similar, just to be sure.  Try this link for some hints on the new Windows File Explorer.

HTH!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 06:12:53 pm »
Thanks - I found them filed and just took a chance,  All it wanted was my name then it sprang into life.  Many thanks  Sue

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 06:53:25 pm »
I know it's free and liaises with MS Office programmes, and it came pre-installed on my new computer, and is used exactly teh same way 0- but I just don't feel I can  trust it yet.   I already have MS Office anyway so it doesn't really matter.  Not sure it has a programme to mimic Outlook though - or has it and I haven't found it yet?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 07:05:57 pm »
I just took a chance and it worked ok   All it wanted was my name for some reason.  I was too mean to pay for Microsoft word, especially now they expect you to pay every year.  So far Open Office has been fine, just this blip today.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 09:19:04 am »
Why don't you get a 16gig memory stick and back up all your documents to it as a safeguard , they are quite cheap from IJT Direct , even if your hard drive goes down you still have all your work safe.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 09:40:00 am »
or open an account with Drop Box and store them in the sky  :excited:  It's free too, and you can share files with anyone you want instead of emailing them - for example all my photos are on there - her's an old one of my GWP Hester from 2000
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 09:56:06 am »
OpenOffice is great, I've used it for years on Linux.  The only thing that could cock things up is Windows "trying to be clever" :).

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 10:45:46 am »
Thanks Doganjo - I will look into that and yes Foobar Windows is always having an argument and trying to get rid of McAfee

Most installments on the journal last night,  I will try and get it so its nearly "live" so to speak

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS