Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pale coloured egg yolks  (Read 3485 times)

exmoorlady

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Brendon Hills
pale coloured egg yolks
« on: September 01, 2009, 02:06:19 pm »
for some reason our egg yolks are very pale almost like supermarket eggs, they are free range and on mixed corn as usual, any ideas why? not laying very well either

Eagledance

• Joined May 2009
  • Fife
Re: pale coloured egg yolks
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 02:07:21 pm »
Do they get much grass/greenstuffs? The yolk colour comes from the breakdown of chlorophyll I believe?!

Ed
Live well: Laugh often: Love much

exmoorlady

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Brendon Hills
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 02:20:49 pm »
plenty of green stuff very free range

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 04:42:43 pm »
Most of mine have nice yolks with being free range, but I do notice that some of the ex batts lay eggs which never have that nice colour.

Mine are free range, but have no other greens except the grass they are on, and also have layers pellets - maybe the pellets make the yolks better?

Wellieboots

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 04:55:31 pm »
grass etc makes the yolks more yellow, but that said it isn't an exact science. It could be due to any number of reasons based on what they encounter when they are free ranging etc. If ours are buzzed by a bird of prey then the eggs can vary wildly (and ours are free range totally).

I'd not read too much into it, if you are feeding them what you'd be happy to eat via their eggs then the colour isn't too much of a problem in my humble opinion.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 04:57:51 pm »
if you are feeding them what you'd be happy to eat via their eggs

Hmmmm - worms? ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 08:52:31 pm »
Many layers pellets have 'yolk inhancers' in them, even organic ones.
Technically is not chlorophyll, which is green but xanthophll and carotene, yellow and orange pigments which add yolk colour. 'greens' are full of these, you just don't see it behind the green chl. Carrots, pumpkins, marigold petals will really give a zingy colour.

Do they just get mixed corn, or pellets as well? Could be an inbalance of protein/carbs/vitamins which pellets might help.
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS