Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: h0w do i leave?  (Read 3702 times)

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
h0w do i leave?
« on: January 05, 2014, 01:59:34 pm »
hi,  :wave:well I have asked a few TAS people and no one I asked appears to know how to leave this forum. I did not want to announce I am leaving as I do not want good byes or fuss....I wanted to leave ages ago... I must add no one has made me angry, I just want out, please.

This is hard as my key board is not working :innocent:

Some one please get rid of me!1

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: h0w do i leave?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 02:03:54 pm »

We get asked this a lot so i'll post here as a general answer if anyone searches the boards

Pm me how much you want to leave we can fully remove your account or just lock it so you cant post but have an option to come back.

If you ask to have it removed its permanent and cant be reactivated.

obviously you can just leave an account dormant and not post if you choose as we don't delete accounts for lack of use.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 02:35:51 pm »
HGL - can you not just stop visiting the site? take it off your favourites/menu bar etc? stop posting? I go through phase with TAS. Sometimes I visit a lot, sometimes not at all.

or is it that you want your IP address barred aswell so you can't come back?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 10:13:36 pm »
I'd like to say that no one on here has annoyed me, but I can't, 2 people spoil this forum for me, turns out neither are even smallholders. I go for ages without posting as I will probably do again now.

Rant over, sorry.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 11:18:48 pm by AndynJ »

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 11:19:21 pm »
I dip in and out of forums. Some I have contributed a lot others I just go in for adverts or looking for advice. I have never formally left any forum, its not like joining a club.
  On the whole I think this forum is pretty moderate, animals tend to attract polar opinions, I dipped into the British Farming Forum today and that has a very jokey content. Anyone can say anything about themselves on the internet and you very little chance to know if what they are saying is true, you just have to learn to take things with a pinch  of salt, even some of the fancy websites are so much smoke and mirrors.
 Think as this place as a party, you always get someone who knows everything and wants to tell everybody, the ones you wouldn't let look after your dog, the most boring person in the world, the drunk that rambles, someone who tells long and pointless jokes, but you do not have to talk to them and will go home without them but you may also meet someone you really like which you wouldn't have done if you hadn't gone.

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 11:36:06 pm »
I dip in and out of forums. Some I have contributed a lot others I just go in for adverts or looking for advice. I have never formally left any forum, its not like joining a club.
  On the whole I think this forum is pretty moderate, animals tend to attract polar opinions, I dipped into the British Farming Forum today and that has a very jokey content. Anyone can say anything about themselves on the internet and you very little chance to know if what they are saying is true, you just have to learn to take things with a pinch  of salt, even some of the fancy websites are so much smoke and mirrors.
 Think as this place as a party, you always get someone who knows everything and wants to tell everybody, the ones you wouldn't let look after your dog, the most boring person in the world, the drunk that rambles, someone who tells long and pointless jokes, but you do not have to talk to them and will go home without them but you may also meet someone you really like which you wouldn't have done if you hadn't gone.
:thumbsup:

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 12:52:21 am »
yeah well said honeyend- summed it up perfectly. when this is annoying me too much Its usually because I've been posting too much and ended up far too involved in the lives and opinions of people I don't even know. time to stop and go do something else for a while- this website has been the single most informative and supportive thing since I started keeping animals and id hate to get so mad with my virtual chums that I lose the wonderful support.
as for you hgl- I don't know you in the real world but you have always been lovely to me on here for which I thank you and wish you the very best  :hug:

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 01:07:10 am »
Well said Devonlad, I just couldn't put it into words & I do as you do too involved, I agree with everything you and honeyend have written thanks both posts have really helped. Thanks very much.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 10:00:55 am »
I tried to work out how to leave about a month ago when things were at their worst and a couple of posts really upset me, while various others were beyond irritating and I didn't dare respond because of what I might have said.  But I couldn't work out how to "leave the party" and spent 2 hours trying to look at every single option in the profile because I was advised it was there and assumed I was just too upset to see it.  I did delete the link but in the end I wanted to ask about something smallholding related and didn't know who else to ask as I rely on the forum for information on such things.   So I came back on, but it wasn't a nice experience either way.

It would actually be nice to have some option to suspend membership and not to have to ask to leave.  Maybe ask to reinstate or to be completely deleted after a cooling off period like you get with insurance etc, but some button you can actually find and click on would have been helpful to me, an action taken.  Could be a timeout of a specified period, a week/month trial separation perhaps  ;) before deletion is initiated by mods, or longer options, would help cope with those posts/people that really trigger backlash when discussion/debate turns to arguing and personal insults.  And maybe even for mods to apply to such posters if they want to go that way, that's not my call or interest. 

But to be that upset and angry, that desperate to make some change when feeling utterly powerless, and not to be "allowed" to decide without asking permission?  Really made a bad day worse, I just couldn't let it go without some kind of resolution..

Something for mods to discuss perhaps? 

Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 10:11:33 am »
It's sad when someone gets so hurt on a forum that they feel they have to leave.   :'(

But to be honest, it is very simple - just don 't go back on to it.  :thinking:

It takes will power, but it leaves your options open in case you change your mind - as Sandy has a few times.  She may yet change her mind again  :thumbsup: 

And I have left once too, and come back on  :excited:   The reason I came back is because there is just an overwhelming goodness and wealth of knowledge on this forum that I haven't seen elsewhere, and that it is so well run.

We can all become a little thin skinned at times, but as smallholders we have to take the rough with the smooth. (or aspiring ones - to me there is little difference - I have had a bigger place, have now downsized to one acre with only birds, veg & fruit, but that doesn't make me any less a smallholder)

So I see no reason to change the 'status quo'.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 10:44:45 am »
Unfortunately I've been unwell over the weekend and didn't get a chance to see happygolucky's PMs. The request has been dealt with now.

As to the option to close your own account, this used to be an option, but I disabled it.

In the 7 years we've run the forum about 90% of the members who deleted their own accounts have subsequently re-registered and asked for their old posts to be associated with their new accounts. This isn't a trivial exercise and takes careful database work, so we decided to remove the option.

If anyone does want to close their account please PM a mod and we can tell you the options - as has been mentioned above often what's needed is a break, not the nuclear option.  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS