Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Preparing for seeds  (Read 12529 times)

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Preparing for seeds
« on: March 26, 2008, 08:04:11 am »
I have bought myself a few packets of what is marked prairie de fleurs - they are a mixture of annuals and by-annuals - they are more cultivated that meadow flowers but the idea is to spread them around and see what comes up.

At our new property there isn't any sign of a single flower - not a daisy or buttercup, nothing has established in the way of primroses or wild daffs which you would normally see on the hedgerows around and about. There is litterally nothing.  The only thing I have seen over the two years we have had the house is dandilions around the house area.

It is agricultural land 3.5 hectars. Past years it has been farmed with we think cows and sheep. Our neighbours have had a few cows on the land last year, but that would have been the first time is a lot of years.

So, my question is - how do I prepare an area to take these seeds? What do I need to buy if anything for the soil?

There is a huge bank going up to the road area which is about 10m high x 100m long which I would like to infuse some colour into and get it looking somewhat like the natural hedgerows that are around the area. Where do I start, when do I start? What do I need for that? Would bulbs be the answer?

Any ideas for a complete novice much appreciated.

Anything I do will be around the edges of the property since the animals will take up the bulk of it, but it looks such a sad un-loved property with no colour at all.

This is not a garden by the way - it is fields that I want to do something with.

Kate
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Preparing for seeds
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 05:03:52 pm »
Kate, I am no expert by any means but if it was me I would scour the surface, sprinkle seeds and dress with some good top soil. and cross my fingers!!!!

Good luck I am sure someone will offer good horticultural advice not me though sorry!!!

Carole

sacha

• Joined Mar 2008
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 09:33:39 am »
Could I ask where you bought the seeds from, as I have always wanted a meadow flower type garden, as not being the green fingered type at all it does always look pretty and hopefully low maintaince

Sacha

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 09:45:38 am »
Liddels!  They have hundreds of them at around 29 centimes plus.

I am just about to post again on my problem having invaded the veggie section to get me some attention!

Kate

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 09:50:29 am »
To update and as posted on the Veggie section -

I really want to put some colour onto the new propery and try and made the huge bank leading up to the road a little more interesting.  One thing I have noticed since assisting/project managing the fencing down there is that the wind is cutting right across that whole area.  Could this be the reason for nothing growing on the bank area?

It could be just the place for the sort of planting in the Scottish areas perhaps - wind proof! I still want colour though and have it looking wild not cultivated so still needing help there.

The seeds though (fast becoming those bl***y seeds)! I have no facility to start the growing process and infact would loose the will to live if I could because I would never have the time to plant.

So what can I do - PLEASE - PRETTY PLEASE!

Kate

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 07:59:28 pm »
okay here is an idea for you take some of the soil put that a plant pot and add the (small bit of) seeds and water see what happens

you can get a rought idea to what is going to have on the main plot
hope this helps

Linz

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 09:33:14 am »
just an idea for the windy bank leading to the property if you wanted something a bit different.....

have you thought about different grasses? you can get lots of different colours.... the normal green, browns, black, blue....  or the bigger varities offer striped effect leaves.... maybe some bamboo, again you can get different colours, reds, greens, black, striped although bamboo is normally (as far as i know) quite an agressive spreader there are lots that arent! and on the plus side you would have free garden canes! or you could use heather for waves of colour, and of course all of those are relativley low maintence  :bee: :bfly: 

http://www.grassgardens.co.uk/

http://www.floraselect.co.uk/?page=shopping&shop_cat_id=288

http://www.alpinesandgrasses.co.uk/06grassesA.htm

http://www.hardybamboo.com/shop/products.asp?c_urn=60

http://www.heathersociety.org.uk/

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 12:46:46 pm »
I thought about heathers - it was the mention of Scotland that did it! There are lovely colours and if you plan it right, you can have flowers vitrually all year, which is great for bees. Just make sure the soil is acid. There are very few heaths and heathers that will grow in alkaine soil.

But I suppose you've got these b****y seeds...

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 01:46:42 pm »
It was the mention of Scotland that made me think of heathers as well Rosemary!

Proberably a silly question but how do i tell if i have acid or alkaine soil? i have two very pathetic looking heathers in a pot in the garden, i hoped re-potting them into some organic compost might do the trick and bring them bursting into life but it hasnt! maybe the soil i used is alkaine?!?!

lol i forgot about 'those' seeds! you could just chuck them in and if they grow they grow and if they dont they dont! tends to work when i do it!

instead of using the bank for flowers why not plant some herbs on it? big patches of different types and just let them spread (within reason of course!) i think it was something like 'lemon grass' or 'lemon thyme' i brought for my mum at a boot fair when i was little as my nan said she diddnt have it. mum was happy until the birds started spreading it.... soon the whole garden had a patch of it somewhere or other! smelt lovley when you brushed past it tho!  :bee: :ladybug:

rustyme

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 01:54:42 pm »
hello Stephen,
                  you can buy a PH test kit from any garden centre. The digital ones with a probe are good as you just use the probe again and again , no refils to buy next time you want to use it !!!....they are very easy to use and I think, accurate enough for most things .

cheers

Russ

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 02:19:25 pm »
Thanks Rusty!

i shall investigate at Wyevale when i get the chance!

:ladybug:

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 03:59:01 pm »
don't forget to look on ebay aswell

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 04:15:02 pm »
Ebay has lost its sparkle for me, i did get some wonderfull bargains on seeds but everything else (once postage is added) dosent seem cheaper than the shops anymore! and i know if i get the OH in Wyevale he will want to buy some grossley overpriced thing so i can then buy whatever i want lol  :ladybug:

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 04:30:20 pm »
lol good idea
You sometimes if you find it local can pick things up i have done this a couple of times
:)
linz

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS