Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: transforming rough grazing  (Read 2919 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
transforming rough grazing
« on: December 29, 2013, 08:21:50 pm »
i have an acre of rough grazing...now thinking of improving it a lot from docks nettles and other tall stuff????? sprayed a lot last year but bad stuff returns......... whats my best statagy from now to end up with a good grassy plot.......... i thought a good industrial type spray for broadleaves then a good seeding might do it..... is there an alternative to grass for grazing geese...ie fast growing to smother weeds etc

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
Re: transforming rough grazing
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 11:08:55 pm »
Put some primitive sheep or goats to graze it hard and over sew it with a mixture of suitable varieties for your final plan

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 08:13:13 am »
The most efficient removers of rough scrub I've ever seen was by hens. 
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 11:12:51 am »
The most efficient removers of rough scrub I've ever seen was by hens.
Hens will do a good job without digging the ground up if you can confine them to a fairly small area at a time. Geese won't touch it until something else has taken it down to a nice short length.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 03:04:21 pm »
thanks but poultry no good all you end up with is no grass but plenty of nettles plus done chickens etc and want to try turkeys sometime..... goats no good as i have loads of trees laurel  bushes etc i want kept undamaged... if goats didnt eat laurel that would be ok... tried kune kunes but they wouldnt eat the nettles,  dock leaves and roots... so i think its a chemical jobby or non laurel eating goats

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 03:10:46 pm »
Why not a couple of Tamworth weaners, they should do the job. I put some GOS  on a weedy patch and they cleared it lovely, not a weed to be seen.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 03:44:35 pm »
Ummm - you do know you've posted this in the poultry section? Would have thought pigs myself but maybe try a wider audience in the land management section?

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 04:35:15 pm »
in this section cos i want to put geese back on.and post is about alternative grazing stuff for geese.. geese on at present but lots of rough stuff instead of grass so will have to remove current geese if useing chemical this year...as i cant get good results while geese still about.... done pigs with little sucess....... have now tried land management as well thanks
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 04:42:45 pm by harry »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS