Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Selling poultry meat- what are the regulations?  (Read 3364 times)

WoodlandsDevon

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
Selling poultry meat- what are the regulations?
« on: December 30, 2013, 11:33:43 pm »
I'd like to know what the regulations are around selling poultry meat to the public e.g. at markets etc. Are there certain feeds you have to feed them? I'd be grateful of any advice.
Thanks
Khaki Campbells, call ducks and laying hens in sunny Devon

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
Re: Selling poultry meat- what are the regulations?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 01:11:07 am »
DEFRA is always a good place to start but like most, if not all, meat headed for public consumption can not be fed any household waste food etc...but you can easy spend an hour or 3 going through the welfare regs on DEFRA
are these chickens reared for meat or layers past their best?
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 07:09:56 am »
Feeding is the least of your worries. Start by looking at the rules about slaughtering, storage and processing. Not to mention disposal of waste materials.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 10:13:18 am »
Contact your local environmental health officer too. I was talking to the guys we get our turkey from who raise a few hundred a year. Apparently the regulations are a nightmare (I was asking because we were thinking of doing a handful next year) and you have to have specific white meat hygiene certificates (dedicated preparation area), poultry needs to be stunned before dispatch etc. We're not looking to sell so easier but you'd have to jump through those hoops.

H

WoodlandsDevon

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 11:03:56 am »
To answer fiestyredhead331, I'd be using it as a way of getting rid of spare cockerels, not layers past their best, so I'd be rearing them with meat in mind. I kind of thought there would be tight regulations on the preparation and dispatching side of things, but I was thinking of taking them to an abattoir for the killing/preparation etc. Is an abattoir quite an expensive way of doing this?
Khaki Campbells, call ducks and laying hens in sunny Devon

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 11:27:47 am »
our local abattoir doesn't do poultry so those who produce poultry for consumption up here have to get their own slaughter license or take them to someone who has theirs already.
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 01:34:05 pm »
I don't know of any abbatoir round us that does poultry.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 03:54:39 pm »
its probably way too far out of the way but there is a place in fife that advertising doing anything with feathers for the table.

never used it just know its there...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS