Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Finger mower problems  (Read 8957 times)

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
Finger mower problems
« on: December 08, 2013, 07:44:00 pm »
Hi all- I have bought a Ransomes finger bar mower for my MF135 and have come up against a problem (see photo). I have attached it but it seems that my top link is too short (in the picture I have wound it a bit longer- but even at it's max. it doesn't hold the unit vertical). I am thinking that all I need to do is to buy a longer top link arm? or can I add an extension to it? or am I missing something more fundamental- i.e. will a Ransomes fit my tractor- does the combination have safe geometry etc.?
Your help would be very much appreciated :)
Thanks,

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
Re: Finger mower problems
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 02:00:56 pm »
You just need a longer top link,  that one looks as though its off a compact tractor.

Almost any tractor dealer will supply what you need, they are not expensive.

cheers

stu
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 02:05:10 pm by stufe35 »

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 06:31:08 pm »
I agree with Stufe35, but I am studying the length of the link arms in relation to the rear of the wheels. Also the position of the implement bottom link arms which appear much further forward than the top link.
Just by using a longer top link, is the PTO shaft going to be at its maximum limit ?
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 08:35:51 pm »
Hi Stu and Odin. Very helpful! I think I will just get a new longer top link. The PTO I think will be OK but I think the only thing to do is to have a go and see what happens!
cheers.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 10:21:09 pm »
As the pto joins the implement at roughly the same height as the main lift arms, changing the length of the top link will make little difference to the pto so I don't think this is actually a major consideration.

But Odin has a point, the length of the pto needs to be checked as the machines are not from the same manufacture, and indeed when dealing with old implements there is no way of knowing if the pto has been shortened or lengthened at some point in the past.....it is after all around 50 years old.

To check, lift the implement up and down through its range, observe the pto, when it is dead straight out of the back of the tractor it will be at its shortest, ensure there is no pressure on the shaft (ie that it is not too long)by pressing in the button and checking the pto will pull backwards at least a couple of inches.  Next put the mower at its working height , (this might actually be the same position) measure the length of the shaft, then by measuring the individual sections of shaft ensure there is adequate overlap, this is a guess, but a minimum of 6 inches should do it, the longer the better really.

Hope that helps and makes some sense !

You should try and get hold of an operators manual for the mower....a google search should get you one, if not at least buy one for a ferguson finger bar mower, the principles will be the same......some one on here might be able to send you a copy.....ferguson reprints are readily available.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 10:27:58 pm by stufe35 »

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 07:25:40 pm »
Hi Stu- yes that makes sense. I have measured the length of the cat1 top link that I will need...close to 36"! (where to get one from?). The PTO shaft from the implement I think will be snug to the tractor PTO (but I could cut it down a touch if necessary?).
I get the feeling that this machine was not fully designed for my tractor!
Am I fighting a losing battle?
cheers,

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 08:42:19 pm »
Ransomes never really concentrated on agricultural tractors, despite everything else they made. They were and are a big name in ploughs and most of their equipment as far as I know was developed on to Ford Tractors. Having said all that the 3 point link is universal. On the size of tractor being used it will be either Catagory 1 (inch) or Cat2 (Inch & 8th).  Various lengths of arms have been used to suit various applications. And looking at yours the top link is too short making the link arms look long?
A son of the soil .

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 08:48:18 pm »
Having said all that I have in my possession ...... a RED MF Finger Bar Mower ... It is in need of TLC but virtually complete. I acquired over 3 years ago with the intention of using it but have just never got around to fettling it (Yorkshire dielect to clean up and make good).  Do you want it ? How much is you Ransome? Whereabouts art thou?

It would look very nice on a 135  :bouquet:
A son of the soil .

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 08:50:42 pm »
Field fare,

The implement should be fine,  all you need is a longer top link.

Yes you can shorten the pto if required,  but ii would be surprised if this is required.

Any tractor dealer will have a top link to suit, you need a cat 1,  then just check it will extend to the length required.   Plenty on ebay,  or vintage suppliers such as t20 parts,  spares etc.

yIve just been out and measured the top link on my 135, it really maxs out at about 32",  but I do remember I once had to borrow a longer one to suit an implement I had also borrowed.

Ive just had another look at your photo, and realise you will need an extra long top link as the brackets your lower link arms attach to stick out further than the top link connection (from the main frame of the mower).  It looks as though there are holes you could possibly move the links further back by undoing them and relocating...but this could be a very hard task,...50 years of corrosion ro overcome,  and the holes might be to suit a cat2 connection.....The simplest solution is a longer top link,  do you have a local friendly farmer you could borrow one off to trial it.  Even if it were CAt1 at one end and cat 2 at the other it would do for a trial.

Hope you are not too bamboozeled !

Cheers.  Stu
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 10:08:47 pm by stufe35 »

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 02:15:09 pm »
Are you in business yet ?

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 09:24:59 pm »
Odin, how much do you want for your MF mower and how much fettling does it require?  I have a pet fettler if necessary.

I've got a MF35 and would like a useable mower for it...  :innocent:

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 08:08:21 pm »
I gave £50 for it three years ago and would let it go for the same. It is nearly complete but sat outside in the grass. The knife blade is inside as I removed a blades to replace but got no further. The rubber belt is missing as is the cover for the belt box. There is a ball joint that links the push rod to the 'reciprocating' (do yer like that ..... reciprocating ) knife which could do with renewing. .The frame appears good, its the knives and moving parts that require attention or replacing.
If I can think on to take a photo I will, but when this bad weather has shifted, or come and take a look.  :raining:
A son of the soil .

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 08:02:21 pm »
...Hi Stu and Odin- an update! I have got a longer top-link and have now set it up and actually done a small amount of topping of a patch of withered mint...it did a perfect job (even with a few teeth missing). Thanks both for your help. Now to get more kit!!!
Another question I do have though is why should I give it 540rpm when it will cut OK at lower revs? I guess this is a general question on kit...
Thanks,

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 12:31:42 pm »
540 is a standard pto speed that many implements were designed to operate at. Many implemets can be run at lower revs to suit working conditions. You can run your mower at lower revs, you just risk it jamming by not having enough momentum to carry it through a tough patch.

In light crops and by using lower gears to reduce forward speed and hence load on the machine it shouldn't be an issue using lower revs and to some extent by doing this you put less strain and wear and tear on your old machine.

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 07:41:01 pm »
Hi Stu- thanks for that. I certainly won't be travelling at top speed with that thing attached (more like 1st L!!) so probably will keep revs as low as possible (seems sensible in terms of fuel economy also).
cheers

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS