Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Blind sheep  (Read 5501 times)

widget

• Joined Feb 2013
Blind sheep
« on: December 08, 2013, 06:25:57 pm »
Anyone had one? I've been asked to take on one that got attacked by crows last week. To be honest I'm not convinced it's entirely ethical but wanted your opinions/experiences have you had one that survived this?

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
Re: Blind sheep
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 06:53:58 pm »
What was wrong with it that crows made it blind ? Why are the present owners not wanting it ? Very sad but it would be better culled than going to a strange new place.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 10:31:15 pm by bigchicken »
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

widget

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 06:55:42 pm »
Hi it got cast on it's back and crows set in : ( I agree mcvung home would be scary for her and disorientating but they are stopping farming so I guess cull is best for her.

mariestephens

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 06:56:58 pm »
Blind sheep are often quite hard to handle especially when startled. If you were trying to get them in with other sheep, they'd find it hard to find the gateway. We had a blind ewe who's eye sight returned but she was difficult to handle and ran into fences a few times.

Hope that helps.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 09:01:08 pm »
I have had a few blind ewes over the years---some lost one eye to crows and a couple blind in both eyes

They are fine until separated from the flock---at lambing they seemed to cope if left to their own devices

Also farmed a 3 legged ewe for 2 years!

smallflockshearing

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 09:35:32 am »
My neighbour had a blind ewe - cast and attacked by crows.  She was in lamb at the time, made it through and threw 2 lambs.  They acted as 'guide lambs' for her in the field, she followed them around to feed.  A bit disconsolate when weaned though...

He separated her off for several months, best part of a year, and I used to walk past her every day.  She seemed fine, stood around a lot, adjusted her posture to use ears more than eyes, but ate well.  Then culled... 

Shame in some ways; she seemed a very mature and good mother.  Not meant to be, though.
Carefully shearing small flocks throughout the South-West.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 09:45:41 am »
My vote is for culling too.  Maybe different if she was on familiar ground in small, flat fields and could follow a belled member of the flock.  A sheep that can't find the rest of the flock when she wants to is a distressed sheep.

SheepCrazy!

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Dumfries and Galloway
  • www.hawthornsoaysandjacobs.co.uk
    • hawthornsoaysandjacobs
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 11:12:42 pm »

It's a tough one but you also must consider if you kept her alive and blind depending on how badly the eyes have been damaged the amount of antibiotics required to stop the infection killing her as crows are scavengers and carry all sorts of bacteria, I have worked with one blackface ewe (whilst shepherding for someone else). the ewe got tipped on her back and lost both eyes to crows it was a pointless expedition, jagging her daily with antibiotics as the infection killed her after tens days. (Even though veterinary advice and very high doeses of both long and short acting antibiotics were given  along side pain relief.)  I didn't matter how gentle you were with her or how slowly you moved she panicked.

It sounds like you will just be gaining trouble I'm afraid I agree with the other comments it would probably be kinder to cull her now than let her possibly suffer.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 01:33:44 pm »
If the ewe is in lamb I would nuture her through and then cull her once she has reared he lambs. If she is empty, get rid now.

We had a ewe last year who lost the sight in one eye due to an eye infection and then a couple of weeks later she got stuck on her back and the crows had her other eye. She reared a cracking set of twins. She was turned out with the rest of the flock all summer. She managed ok on a day to day basis - it was just a bit tricky for us when we gathered the sheep in.

She has gone now though. Pity, but there we are!
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

widget

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 05:19:55 pm »
Thanks for all your replies really helpful.  We decided against the ewe and she has been culled. She wasn't ours but someone who responded to our advert for a goat (don't ask!) we have now been offered a toggenburg nanny so everyone's happy : )

SheepCrazy!

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Dumfries and Galloway
  • www.hawthornsoaysandjacobs.co.uk
    • hawthornsoaysandjacobs
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 08:17:50 pm »

I'm glad everything's worked out for you widget good luck with you're new goat.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS