Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how many sheep minimum  (Read 1924 times)

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
how many sheep minimum
« on: December 11, 2013, 09:07:44 pm »
I know that three is ideal, and they are happiest in  bigger flock. But is it doable to have just a ewe and her lambs?

She is a Shetland type so lambs would stay until the next lot born then sent off for hoggit. I know there is the risk of loosing lambs or not being pregnant but tbe other ewe I have is awful.  She is nervous and an escape artist!! If nice ewe has a nice ewe lamb next year, possibly would keep itas a friend for her.

Its just that I have 5 sheep, three are whethers that are a nightmare that need to go in the freezer and skitty ewe is a pain in the bum I can't stand her (although her fleece is lovely! ). She needs a big flock to settle. So may sell her. This leaves nice ewe by her self-would wait till/if she and skitty lambs before selling. Would nice ewe be ok with just her lambs?
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

smallflockshearing

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
Re: how many sheep minimum
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 08:40:45 am »
tricky one...   don't know shetlands well enough, but in my case with Whiteface Dartmoors...

We had 2 ewes a few years back, both threw twins on the same day, but one ewe died the next day.  The remaining ewe thrived - her ewe lamb follows her round still.  They were all fine.
Carefully shearing small flocks throughout the South-West.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: how many sheep minimum
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 01:35:44 pm »
Don't think you would know until you try.... it's an individual thing. I have had ewes that kept themselves (and their lambs) quite separate from the flock, but only the odd one.

Also your skitty girl could settle down once she has lambed...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS