Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Heptavac -p  (Read 5154 times)

Advertisement

vsniccolls

• Joined Nov 2013
Heptavac -p
« on: November 25, 2013, 02:09:54 pm »
Hi

This is the first time we have had sheep to breed, previously just fattened up store lambs.

I know that we need to give the heptavac-P 4 weeks before lambing and that if they have not been vaccinated before the sheep need 2 doses 4-6 weeks apart. Is it too late to give the 2 initial injections now if sheep due to lamb beginning of March? Also we have 10 ewes that we do not know if they have had the initial injection, will it harm to do again or should we just give them the 1 injection before lambing?

Any help appreciated!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Heptavac -p
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 02:21:25 pm »
I would leave them for the moment and give a double dose before lambing, so that the second shot is 3-4 weeks before lambing starts. It doesn't hurt to give another double dose if the ewe was originally vaccinated, but it has lapsed.
I give a double dose to all new arrivals where I do not get exact dates of previous vaccinations by breeder/previous owner. Just safer.

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 02:13:33 pm »
If you do not give the vaccine course now you are risking leaving them unprotected till 4 weeks before lambing. The smallest pot of hep is 25 doses and you would not be the first to use the same pot for each dose but you'd still need 2 pots for 3 injections each in total.  If you were to decide to do this keep it sterile by only using a clean needle into the pot and of course keep it in the fridge. 

If the sheep mean more to you than their financial value then I'd do the course now to all of them and a final dose 4 weeks before lambing.  To be honest even the loss of one to pasteurella now through stress of harsh weather would cost more than 3 pots of hep even if you did not call the vet so in fact its a no brainer.   You are unlikely to do harm by over vaccinating.  They give precautionary tetanus jabs to people even though after 3 doses you are covered for life and its the same with hep.
Never ever give up.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 02:47:36 pm »
I strongly urge you not to use the same pot for second doses. The bottle clearly states that the live vaccine MUST be used within 10 hours of the bottle being opened. I know people argue with this but after that period the live parts die and then its just a waste of time! Is it worth the time, stress and upset when a animal dies because it was not vaccinated correctly for the sake of another £20 bottle of the vaccine?

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 03:51:55 pm »
Your'e right Hillview, its not worth it. 
Never ever give up.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS