Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What's the best thing to do?  (Read 2923 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
What's the best thing to do?
« on: November 23, 2013, 02:54:34 pm »
My ram is in with the girls and my 2 ewe lambs are separate. When the adults have finished their second cycle should I move the lambs back in with them and separate the ram or leave the ram with the adults and keep the lambs separate.
If I move the ram he will be on his own but only separated from the girls by fencing so hopefully wouldn't be lonely.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Re: What's the best thing to do?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 05:50:51 pm »
personally I would leave him in if he's well behaved! I know people who leave the rams in until lambing and then put the rams out the way. at least he wont be on his own and the ewe lambs have each other for company

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 07:32:56 am »
Unless late lambs would be a problem, I'd leave him with the ewes so everyone has company.  if you'd rather have a defined end to lambing, then another year you could consider keeping a wether lamb on to keep the tup company after tupping.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 08:59:13 am »
Thanks both for your input.
Sally, I have already thought about a wether for next year so will be looking for a likely candidate from my ram lambs.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 08:31:05 pm »
we kept a crippled wether from last year so when our tup comes out the 2 of them will go into a seperate field next to the ewes so they'll both have company and the girls can have some chill out time
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 08:59:29 pm »
I've always kept a wether and the tup is only in with the ewes for the "business period"; then the ewe lambs go back in with the ewes.

This year, I am planning to put the tup in with the bullock and bull as he seems to prefer the company of cattle to sheep (apart from the obvious attraction at this time of year).

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 09:19:37 pm »
We have a companion wether too altho hed currently just keeping the ewe lambs company as after our old ram was pts we have been borrowing a ram or ram lamb from a shetland ram breeder, which is brilliant !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS