Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What Wellies?  (Read 13995 times)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
What Wellies?
« on: November 21, 2013, 08:28:33 am »

We all have our favourites for various reasons ............ what wellies do you wear (or covet!)  and why?  (and is colour important?)
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
Re: What Wellies?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 08:36:59 am »
I seem to remember we had this topic before...

Dunlop red soles for me. And they are black, which I would prefer in footwear anyway....

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 08:44:36 am »
Yup, and old but VERY important topic.....I love my Muck boots!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 09:03:00 am »
Muck boots because they keep my toes warm and seem to help with chilblains BUT I slip over very easily in them, especially on wet concrete or slabs  >:(

I'm back into my Hunters at the moment as they seem to have a better grip in the wet but they aren't ideal - not comfortable enough and quite tight across foot.

cant' afford the ones I really want!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 09:15:42 am »
Yes, I find Muck boots very warm but not the best grip.  My children have Bekina Pur and Nora Max and don't seem to have the same problems, or maybe I'm just clumsier.

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 09:17:31 am »
Dunlops have lasted the longest for me, but not very warm.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 09:22:06 am »
Hunter balmoral with bamboo carbon lining, had them ages, dead comfy, still going strong, don't confuse with the cheap hunter wellies, I have deep wellie love for mine

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 09:24:00 am »
Dunlop Purfort.  Light as a feather, good grip, last well.  In cold weather, welly slippers inside.  Can't remember the make, they're blue and lovely and toasty, and you can leave them on as slippers in the house if you want so it doesn't make donning and removing your wellies too much of a chore. 

Colour doesn't matter one jot for anything for me - except that I generally try to have a different colour and/or design to BH, so there's no mix-up or argument ;)

Oh, I did have a pair of Le Chameau once, they were superb, best grip of any welly I ever had and very comfortable to walk in too.  I probably will never forgive the friend who borrowed them to row in and ruined them  :rant:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 09:47:33 am »
The Muck boots in the photo are the heavier type with thicker treads for better grip and they are much better than my others, my husbands lighter version got worn out very quickly and they  became extremely slippy, mine are still good and I am very unstable :innocent:  As for colour, I fancied some purple ones but had brown and one day out in the mud and mine and my husbands black ones looked the same!!!
I have some leather boots that I love they had a fleece lining but I wore them without socks once and got my toe stuck in the lining and then my foot got stuck so I had to trim off the lining, they are very very comfy and warm but a bit heavy!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 10:09:52 am »
I've got Muckboots warm but resemble Torvill and Dean fairly frequently. TBH I don't like wellies - prefer boots and waterproof trousers.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 10:31:07 am »
Muckboots for me.

I like that the upper part fits snugly to my calf so stuff does'nt drop in there in the summer particularly. My OH has big Dunlops but stuff is always rolling into them.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 10:51:07 am »
Muckboots have very good grip if you get the Thurso model, designed for farmers, it has a mega tread and have been a lot less slippy than the Le Chameaus or Hunters even with their extra tread models

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 10:52:45 am »
My calves are wide, so I don't ever have that problem SQ!  :D  In fact, I can't wear a lot of welly brands because the calves aren't wide enough for me.  BH gets things falling into his wellies, though, stick-legs that he is  :roflanim:.  And my female colleague on the moorland farm regularly had ewe pee going into her welly; it just rolled off when they peed on me!   :roflanim:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 10:53:34 am »
Mine have a heavy tread...just reading this reminded me of my youngest daughter laughing her socks off at me...running in mine  :roflanim: :roflanim:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 11:29:23 am »
I bought neoprene Tayberry drake boots a couple of months ago and love them. If there is a choice of colours then it becomes important  ;D
Mine are chocolate brown (don't notice the muck so much)
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS