Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What Wellies?  (Read 14000 times)

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
Re: What Wellies?
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 11:51:14 am »
If I'm feeling really flush I might splash out on a pair of dunlops  ;D- but otherwise the cheaper the better- never spent more than £15 for a pair about my limit. The OH is far more grand and goes for aigle neoprene lined- about 7-8 times the price of mine- she did once get me some "posh" wellies for Christmas- couldn't be doing with them- kept losing my socks and got blistered heels

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 12:30:16 pm »
Muckboots seem to be the most worn one, and I do too, but I did a spectacular backwards somersault onto my behind going downhill last night... I somehow managed not to hit my head on the muckheap posts... sore wrist and elbow this morning though.
I also did have the Tay Muckboots once (the one for farmers), but have found that they split very quickly just above the ankle, where they are a bit too wide. and then they are not very waterproof anymore...

Would love a pair of Aigles with extra lining etc etc.... but no chance...Santa has crossed that one out of my list every year so far :(

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 12:38:01 pm »
Ouch .....think we all dread falling over in slippery mud, I fell in the forest and had such a job getting up due to dogs licking my face and nothing to push up on!!  I once found some green hunter willies in the bin, I wore them and soon found out why they were in the bin, they had slippery soles and leaked.....

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 01:32:20 pm »
At the moment I have a pair of Dunlops that have steel toes and ankle protection, very grippy tread , £16, and so far have been fine , I usually manage to stand on a nail or two during the coarse of a winter but these have remained hole free so far. Gabi bought a new pair of Crunch boots this morning for £19, similar to a mucker.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 01:39:47 pm »
I bought Muck boots (Tay Sport) a year ago. Lovely and warm but not uncomfortable in warm weather. Grip is an issue and I have nearly fallen over in mud or on slippery surfaces a few times, but I bought the ones with the light tread so I didn't keep getting stones stuck in them. They don't get mud stuck in the tread either. I will certainly buy another pair, unless I do actually fall over then I may change my mind, or fit crampons!

Garvie

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Fraserburgh
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 01:44:39 pm »
i love my buck bootz, i have the safety boot that is steel toe caped as i work with cattle but i am getting a pair of the non safety for my Christmas they look exactly like the muck boot but way cheaper and i have had mine for about 5 years now and they are still going strong :D

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 02:40:23 pm »
Love my LeChameau wellies, I am lucky in that I have little feet size3 so they always seem to be in the sales.
Anne

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 03:00:05 pm »
I am lucky in that I have little feet size3

How do you balance?

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 03:33:55 pm »
dunlops for me as well-just stick in some decent insoles in the winter or I have some great rigger boots. loathe neoprene boots and find them slippy anyway and I just can't bring myself to buy something very expensive just to stand in mud and ****. I don't wear them unless I really have to (although thats alot), so don't wear them in the barn/stables/chicken pens-just in the padddock.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2013, 05:58:28 pm »
I am lucky in that I have little feet size3

How do you balance?
Not very well I am always falling over  ;D
Anne

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2013, 06:27:53 pm »
Dunlop Purofort. No contest.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2013, 11:59:29 pm »
My calves are wide, so I don't ever have that problem SQ!  :D  In fact, I can't wear a lot of welly brands because the calves aren't wide enough for me. 

Same here. It's a real problem. I just tend to wear whatever will go on.

I once found some green hunter willies in the bin,

Sandy, I hope that was a typo?????

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2013, 09:38:40 am »
 :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: , my I pad makes me put Willey instead of Welly...honest :innocent:   No aliens in the bins I am afraid"" I notice my daughter puts similar things as she mentioned she was doing some frog massage!!!! I assume she did mean dog :thinking:
I was so wrapped up yesterday with thermal leggings, trousers and thick socks, I could not pull my willies on that well, my hands were also painful yesterday so that did not help, I also, I suspect like a lot of others, have a job putting some boots on, I need a wide target to aim my foot into otherwise I can be a while putting any on, and I cannot stand on one leg very well!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2013, 11:31:39 am »
The combination of standing on one leg and your spellcheck's changes of wellies to willies (mine does it too but I notice and correct it!)  :roflanim:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2013, 11:34:12 am »
 :roflanim:  maybe I should write willey instead  :rant: ...think my I pad has a sense of humour. :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS