Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Drum carding  (Read 2641 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Drum carding
« on: November 17, 2013, 12:52:15 am »
Had a great day at my spinning group today. We had someone come to teach us how to blend wools and other fibres and also she did some special yarn spinning such as boucle. As I have said before, I have been having real trouble getting to grips with spinning but I was given a couple of pointers and shown how to adjust my wheel properly and I'm well away.  :thumbsup:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Drum carding
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 09:24:38 am »
Lesley, that's so encouraging. We have a new member at out spinning club and she has struggled previously, I think mainly because she was trying to learn on her own. I hope that with the help for us at the group she will be like you. Well done  :spin: :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 10:48:43 pm »
Thanks, Sally. Another thing I learned was not to try to feed too much fibre through the drum carder at a time. I thought I couldn't manage to turn the handle myself but by following the instructions - you should be able to read a newspaper through the teased out fibre - I managed (although I needed to use both hands at times). That's one job my OH won't be sorry to give up.  ;D  Mind you, he'll still have to lift in onto the table for me. Can't let him off too lightly.  :roflanim:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 07:56:54 am »
Our new lady had her first lessons in drums carding last week. We have a club drum carder which they have loaned her but she couldn't take it away until they had shown her how to use it properly.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 10:01:14 pm »
We have just acquired a club drum carder - a Classic - as the club used to be run by the wife of Paul Brittain, who makes them. She is still  a member. I don't think the carder will go out on loan though but be for use there.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS