Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What to make from my weaving?  (Read 4505 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
What to make from my weaving?
« on: November 17, 2013, 10:00:40 am »
Maybe I am being a bit ambitious but I would like to weave some material and then make something from it, rather than just weave the usual scarf, place mats etc.

Everything that I have seen so far seems to be fairly square i.e. they use the pieces more or less as the come off of the loom but I don't see why I can't treat the weaving more like regular material and cut a pattern out of it, so long as I stop the edges from unweaving.

It would need to be something fairly simple but not a skirt as I never wear them these days. Maybe a waistcoat?

Anyone know of a simple pattern?

I need the pattern before I start weaving so that I can work out how much yarn I need to dye.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
Re: What to make from my weaving?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 01:01:44 pm »
Ask Julie - I remember she has the most fantastic winter coat she made from scratch... i.e. from sheep to finished garment!

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 01:44:27 pm »
When I wanted a pattern to make a silk patchwork waistcoat, I bought a waistcoat from a charity shop for £2 and unpicked it and used the pieces as my pattern. Much cheaper than a proper dress making pattern!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 01:48:59 pm »
Louise, thats a good idea. We have a few charity shops in town. I might go and take a look this week.
thanks

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 01:52:24 pm »
You absolutely can just use it as fabric.

I'm in the middle of making a casual top from some yardage I wove. Since I am not loom-shaped (!), I have used an ordinary, tailored sewing pattern, with princess seams, set in sleeves and a zip neck, like a fleece.

Handwoven tends to be much more loosely woven than many commercial fabrics, so to stabilise it, and avoid it fraying badly before I'd had chance to zig-zag the edges, I ironed on lightweight knitted interfacing on the back of all the pieces. The fact that it's knitted interfacing is critical, as this leaves the fabric soft and flexible still.

I've just got the zip and the hem to do, so I'll take a pic when I'm done.

Currently warping to weave some yardage to make bags.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 01:58:31 pm »
I've not heard of knitted interfacing before. I will look it up. Thanks

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 02:06:44 pm »
This is where I buy mine - the lightweight stuff listed second to bottom of the second pink box.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 02:40:24 pm »
Thats funny. I was just looking at that website. I used to live near B'mth and was often in their shop. Unfortunately we don't have one near us now (we don't have anything much near us now  ;D ) so I will have to give them a call.
thanks

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 08:57:08 pm »
I remember my Mum knitting some beautiful fabric on my knitting machine, then making a suit from it.  Don't see any reason why you can't do the same with your own weaving.  Looking forward to the pictures!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 10:43:30 pm »
Another way is when you lay the pattern on the fabric, machine round it rather than pinning it. That keeps the weave intact. You then cut just outside the stitching. I've not actually tried this but it's what I always understood was the best way to do it.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 07:58:16 am »
That makes sense Lesley. I think I will give that a go. Thanks

Spinningfishwife

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 09:35:56 am »
I don't do much weaving but I believe the general advice is to finish the fabric well before using it as yardage, either by washing or a combination of washing and fulling if there's a wool content. This tightens up the weave so it's less likely to fray. Or change shape when you wash the final article! As to pattern there are plenty of commercial patterns from Simplicity, New Look, Butterick etc, but you'll have to work out your own yardage requirements, unless you're weaving to the commercial standard  90, 115 or 140/150cm widths.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 10:16:57 am »
I have a nice big cone of 3/12 worsted pure wool. It will be fulled when I have finished and before I start cutting anything. The yarn is currently ecru colour but before I start I want to dye it with a couple of different colours. Thats why its important I get the pattern to work out the yardages/warp/weft, so that I can get it all dyed in one go to ensure the dye lots are the same.
I will post pictures when I have finally finished (if I finish  ;D ) but its a long way off yet.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 09:59:02 pm »
I'm looking forward to seeing them.  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS