Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is there anything in ram mix that ewes can't have?  (Read 4290 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Is there anything in ram mix that ewes can't have?
« on: November 14, 2013, 08:59:48 am »
I'm not feeding the ewes at e moment but the ram has some mix each morning. The girls always try to nuzzle in. I suspect that a small amount is ok but wondered if they had it long term (not likely as it's more expensive)' would it do them any harm.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
Re: Is there anything in ram mix that ewes can't have?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 09:12:10 am »
I think that usually, it's the other way around that a ram should not be fed ewe nuts, but anything suitable for ram feeding should be also ok for the ewes.  The course mixes are usually suitable for ewes and ram feeding.

I feed a sheep course mix to both ewes and rams and haven't had any side effects in all the years they have been eating it.

How's your new tup doing Bionic - has he served many of your ewes yet?

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 10:44:36 am »
We have also been feeding course mix to both without any problems.
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 04:47:41 pm »
Zakthelad, Tonto has served some of them, maybe all of them,  although I'm not sure if he has done the deed properly as a couple have very yellow faces as well as backsides  :roflanim: Some have more yellow on than others but perhaps thats just on the days I didn't put so much on him.
I will be changing the raddle cover on Sunday so lets see what happens then

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 05:18:32 pm »
What are you feeding the ram?

Our ewes, wethers and tup when we have one are fed general coarse mix. Says on the sack that it is suitable for ewes, lambs and rams. Covers everything I think  ;D

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 07:05:43 pm »
The ram is just having a course mix with a bit of soaked sugar beet thrown in. So judging by what everyone is saying I guess its ok for them all to have it when I decide to feed the ewes. It would certainly make life easier if the tp is still in with the girls. If I have seperated him though it won't make much difference as they can have their ewe nuts. .

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 09:06:20 pm »
Yup, tup mix should be fine for all; ewe nuts are not suitable for males.  Coarse mix which does not explicitly state that it is suitable for males should be assumed to be safe only for females.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 07:40:19 am »
I asked at the agri merchants for course mix for rams so I should be safe then  :thumbsup:

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 10:56:03 am »
Is it OK to feed sugar beet to tups then? I've read that you shouldn't feed it to male goats in case it causes bladder stones.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS