Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Close call with water trough  (Read 3233 times)

Lostlambs

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Canada
Close call with water trough
« on: November 12, 2013, 12:16:28 pm »
Last night about 5pm I found one of my little shetland lambs in the water bowl. I use a metal horse trough and the temp here was -20C out. It had froze over the top and she must have jumped up on it then fell thru the ice.Her chin had froze to the lip of the tank,probably the only reason she didn't drown. When I pulled her out she was barely breathing. Brought her to the house and put her in the bathroom. Gave her a B shot and propped her up. At 10pm she seemed to almost be having spasms. I thought she wouldn't live thru the night. This am she was up and alert and stamping at the dogs :excited:  Every once and a while we have a victory :thumbsup:  I hope she doesn't have any lasting effects, no sign of pneumonia that I can tell :fc:

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Re: Close call with water trough
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 12:25:53 pm »
 :fc: for your lamb! Glad she was better this morning!

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 03:02:21 pm »
Well done LL for rescuing in the nick of time.  Hopefully no lasting damage.  You'll have to nickname her Lucky!  :sheep:

Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 03:12:39 pm »
It makes a day if you save a life .Last week I had the wood burner going in the shed .I done the ashes and bagd them went in for breakfast 2 houres later went to go in full of smoke the bag set fire to the doors etc .just in time there is 4 ton chopped wood and stock .It took 2 days to sort.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 08:29:36 pm »
Wow  :o  lucky lamb. Well done!

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 09:08:46 pm »
Poor little lamb, glad you got to her in time.  :fc: she keeps up a good recovery.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 09:12:08 pm »
a bit scary for you, well done though.
what is a B shot?

Lostlambs

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Canada
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 10:52:15 am »
It is a vitamin B (thiamine), I get it at the vet. I find it helps prevent shock when the sheep have had severe trauma. She went out straight to the hay bale and seemed fine all yesterday. Bought a new tank de-icer so hopefully this wont happen again.

Graemscifi

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 06:00:17 pm »
brilliant save, that this thread is still active 2+ years on speaks to how great we all feel when someone saves one wee life.

about troughs, i inhereted parks rigged with deep cow troughs and run sheep, so i filled them with rocks to the water level, sheepies can and do drink in the gaps. i live in fear of what you described, this was my solution, so far so good

Lostlambs

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Canada
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 12:37:52 pm »
Rocks might be the solution, I've been thinking of how to stop anyone from getting stuck after falling in. It seems like a chess game sometimes to keep the sheep from doing themselves in ;D ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS