Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from a wannabe smallholder in France.  (Read 2001 times)

Ziggymole

• Joined Nov 2013
Hello from a wannabe smallholder in France.
« on: November 12, 2013, 07:15:09 pm »
Hi, I'm Ziggy,

I've always wanted to have a smallholding but have had to content myself with a large garden and growing fruit and veg until now. Finally the children are leaving home, the mortgage is paid and we have bought ourselves about 3 acres in France complete with two cottages and attached barns. We spent this summer there putting in a mains water supply to the house we intend to do up and live in and it gave us the chance to find out a bit more about the land, the wildlife etc. But for the time being will continue to be based here in Wales at least until a septic tank and some electric are available (some heating might be nice too).

In the mean time I'm going to have to teach myself about smallholding using resources like this forum which I'm so glad I stumbled upon, and extensive reading to help. Our plan is to raise a couple of weaners each year, some lambs, chickens and rabbits, bees and of course fruit and vegetables.

I look forward to 'getting to know you all' through your posts, and learning from your experiences. Is anyone else in France?

Kind regards

Ziggy

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Re: Hello from a wannabe smallholder in France.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 07:30:41 pm »
Welcome from the Limousin. We are really Accidental smallholders as it is so easy and cheap to aquire birds and animals here and all the neighbours have years of expertise with their fruit and veg. You may have to drop some UK beliefs and practices as the French way can be pretty pragmatic and straightforward. We home kill pigs and butcher these, rabbits, ducks chickens and eat whatever the hunt and neighbours give us.
You will love it!!! What part of France ?
BW Martin ( Le Grand Bourg 23240)
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 07:38:57 pm »
 :wave:

Ziggymole

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 07:56:13 pm »
Hi MAK,

We'll be in the north of Mayenne near Pre-en-Pay. I'm fairly pragmatic, hubby's going to find it a little difficult to adjust as he gives all animals a persona and a voice just like Johnny Morris! I'll just have to keep him away from the animals or it'll end up as a huge zoo!

We're already sure we're going to love the way of life and can't wait to sell up and get out there but have a couple of practicalities to attend to first like windows, electricity and sewerage. After a summer spent camping on the land while we dug an 80m trench for the water main we came away with heavy hearts full of determination to get back.

Lots to do and even more to learn first though.

Ziggy

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 09:17:12 pm »
 :wave: and welcome from Shropshire. Sounds like quite and adventure. You will learn lots from this site.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 09:35:46 pm »
how exciting for you, welcome from scotland  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS