Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Somerset  (Read 1735 times)

cannardsherd

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cannards Grave - Somerset
Hello from Somerset
« on: November 05, 2013, 09:17:18 am »
Wifey and I are a couple of retired wrinklies living in a small cottage with a long, thin garden.  We grow our own fruit and veg in raised beds, make and sell jams and pickles and keep a few ducks and meat chickens. 

Our (my) main delight is our pair of Golden Guernsey milking goats who live in a goat house and yard at the bottom of the garden.  We raise kids each year, selling the girls and eating the boys, and make yoghurt, hard and soft cheese and goats' milk soap.  We can't sell the cheese but we do sell the soap through craft fairs and the like.

Particularly interested to hear from any fellow goat keepers near us. 
 :goat:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Hello from Somerset
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 10:07:29 am »
 :wave: From Aberdeenshire! You sound like extremely cool retired wrinklies to me  :thumbsup:

GGs are lovely,  :goat: haven't persuaded OH we need goats as well as the sheep yet  :huff:

Hope you enjoy the forum. There are lots of goatly peeps on here :thumbsup:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 10:15:28 am »
Hello and welcom to the forum from Carmarthenshire  :wave: . I am sure you will find many like minded people here
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 10:18:51 am »
 :wave: from West Dorset.  Have you joined the Somerset Smallholders Association?  Very friendly and do several markets for your sales :thumbsup:

cannardsherd

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cannards Grave - Somerset
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 10:36:12 am »
:wave: from West Dorset.  Have you joined the Somerset Smallholders Association?  Very friendly and do several markets for your sales :thumbsup:
Hi and thanks for your welcome.  Yes - I'been a member of the SHA for a few years now and we usually sell a lot of soap when they are at the annual Game Fair in Shepton Mallet. :goat:

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 09:48:01 pm »
Hello - I'm also a member of the SHA. Welcome to TAS :wave: .

Maybe we will meet up at the New Year dinner at the Langport Arms?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 09:32:51 am »
Hello from a fellow soap maker!

We are in worcestershire and use milk from our goats too.

Hope the new EU regulations didn't affect you too adversely - we were lucky that our assessor upgraded us as part of the package but its been so sad seeing as many soap makers give up as there was  :(
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS