Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hooray - My Golden Retriever is finally in whelp.  (Read 15837 times)

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
Re: Hooray - My Golden Retriever is finally in whelp.
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2013, 11:44:10 am »
Have a list of potential buyers of puppies so hopefully they will go to good forever homes. If any one on here is interested I can add to my list as not everyone who enquires will make the grade.
Skye has had all the health test relevant to her breed and we are hoping to have her rescanned about a week before the birth to see if any potential problems are in the offing. She is having her Cannine Herpes injection quite soon and have vet on standby. His words were I'll probably see you at 4.30 one morning. So  :fc: for plain sailing.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2013, 11:49:01 am »
Cannine Herpes injection
that's a new one on me? I can understand it could effect pups eyes at birth but never crossed my mind!
You will be fine, most dogs/owners are....I had the vets number on my mobile and in big bold letters on the board in the dogs room..

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2013, 12:57:38 pm »
Do you let them chew the cord or cut yourself?

....... now I'm getting excited.  ;D

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2013, 01:16:20 pm »
There are loads of us with experience of whelping, I did cut some cords at first but they are tough and found that my Chocolate Lab does them quickly herself......its best to pinch the cord between  your fingers for a start then do not cut too near to the pup, there are loads of videos showing you this on you tube as its more difficult to explain than to do, the thing that I try to do ASAP is get the sack away from the pups face, that's critical so I do put my fingers in to tear that!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2013, 01:49:05 pm »
I thought I remembered cutting the cords but it's been a long time. Interested to learn what's considered best to do now ..... opinions have probably changed as with lots of things.

Didn't know about herpes injection.

How long before they are covered are they given a parvo injection?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2013, 06:00:21 pm »
Cannine Herpes injection
that's a new one on me? I can understand it could effect pups eyes at birth but never crossed my mind!
You will be fine, most dogs/owners are....I had the vets number on my mobile and in big bold letters on the board in the dogs room..
All the breeders I know test and vaccinate prior to mating.  It's very common.  If you don't know about it you should,find out before you breed again.  A friend of a friend lost three pups out of six from this.  They just died one by one..  PM on all three showed CHV
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2013, 06:04:07 pm »
I thought I remembered cutting the cords but it's been a long time. Interested to learn what's considered best to do now ..... opinions have probably changed as with lots of things.

I have never cut cords, but I use plastic clips (bag closure type things in packets - various colours) - clip onto teh cord about 3 inches from the puppy then let the bitch chew but keep an eye on her so she don't go any further.  A number of years ago I had one bitch i couldn't get a hold of (before I started using this method) who turned her back on me and I couldn't get to the puppy - she ate all it's innards so I had to kill the wee soul.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2013, 06:42:54 pm »
Oh Doganjo that must have been distressing. What is the purpose of clipping? Is it just to try and encourage the bitch not to chew too close to pup and prevent injury/hernias or is there another reason.

Just read about the herpes infection - sounds nasty.  :(  Not such a problem for older dogs just whelping then.

My pups breeder talked about injections the bitch had been given. Thought he mentioned parvo being given at a certain time in order that pups had maximum protection.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2013, 08:06:21 pm »
Oh Doganjo that must have been distressing. What is the purpose of clipping? Is it just to try and encourage the bitch not to chew too close to pup and prevent injury/hernias or is there another reason.

Just read about the herpes infection - sounds nasty.  :(  Not such a problem for older dogs just whelping then.

My pups breeder talked about injections the bitch had been given. Thought he mentioned parvo being given at a certain time in order that pups had maximum protection.
I put the clips on to stop the bitch chewing the cord too short, or tugging, and as a direct consequence of that incident.  Never want to repeat that!  :'( :'( :'(  If you try to cut or tear the cord yourself or the bitch does then the risk of hernia is increased. 
Your bitch should already be protected against parvo and that immunity will be passed on to her pups but only for a certain length of time.  So make sure she is kept away from any other dogs while you have them, and not walked where other dogs have been.  I keep my bitches at home for the first few weeks after whelping, and my other dogs too, but I have enough ground for that. Plus I give them mental stimuli so they don't need so much physical exercise.  I would check with your vet whether it is safe to give her any injections at all while she is in whelp.  Personally I prefer to have everything dealt with before mating - health tests, vaccinations, worming etc.
Unfortunately, I no longer have any breeding bitches and I wouldn't breed in this economic climate anyway.  Perhaps I will in the future, but it will be at least 3 years from now, more likely to be more than that, depending on when I can find a bitch pup with my own lines.

You shouldn't need your vet - most whelpings go by the book, but have his number to hand just in case.

I well remember the night Sandy had her first lab litter, She called me about 11.30 pm I think - I was there helping for 4 hours till the first 6 or so were born!  Was it Christmas time?  :thinking:  It was a long night - but so exciting  :excited: , and not a breed I had whelped before, Islay was so good - good luck with yours.  Be prepared and enjoy it.  Sandy has whelped three or is it four litters now so quite experienced.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2013, 10:13:17 pm »

I have never cut cords, but I use plastic clips (bag closure type things in packets - various colours) - clip onto teh cord about 3 inches from the puppy then let the bitch chew but keep an eye on her so she don't go any further.  A number of years ago I had one bitch i couldn't get a hold of (before I started using this method) who turned her back on me and I couldn't get to the puppy - she ate all it's innards so I had to kill the wee soul.
I was thinking of getting some of the clips for the cords. How long do they have to be kept on the puppy?
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2013, 09:36:40 am »
I usually leave them on till the cord has almost dried up - a day or so is usually enough for the bitch to lose interest - she'll have other things on her mind like feeding them and keeping them clean.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2013, 10:39:20 am »
It's a lot easier with the sheep.
The cord tears and I then use iodine. The cord shrivels up in no time.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2013, 11:04:26 am »
Sheep don't try to break the cord though do they?  Remember a lamb is sentient and active from birth - a puppy isn't.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2013, 01:38:27 pm »
I am sure you did not mean 3 inches as that's one hell of a long cord  :innocent:
have never cut cords, but I use plastic clips (bag closure type things in packets - various colours) - clip onto teh cord about 3 inches from the puppy then let the bitch chew but keep an eye on her so she don't go any further
I have only cut one or two and that was with Isaly as she had a big litter, I know some people use dental floss or cotton thread, I used cotton thread on one occasion, holding the cord between your fingers soon stops the blood flow I would say around a bit less than an inch away from the pup.......they soon dry up!! I did have some clamps that could lock on like scissors, I must have thrown them away but did not need them again.  I also offered our bitches goats milk while having a break from contractions and make sure they get to the toilet but be aware then can drop a pup, never happened with us but we have a good safe well lit yard.
Anne  did tell me to give the bitch some calcium tablets after the birth of the pups, this is very important, especially after a big litter.  Keep up the calcium tablets until the pups are weaned at least....

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2013, 02:45:35 pm »
Just ordinary calcium tablets or a doggie type?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS